Senakysam said:
What I mean is that it carries the spirit of the PSP, in the same way that the DS was with the Gameboys. I do admit I forgot about it playing anything bu downloaded games, but it still doesn't change the fact that they made it incompatible with previous games.
There's no place to fit a UMD disk reader in such a system. It's expensive, it's dated, it's not made for portables, and it's way more difficult to combine with data card slots.

It was a necessary feature to dump it. They should haven't gone with the UMDs with the PSP to begin with.
Senakysam said:
it still doesn't change the fact that they made it incompatible with previous games.
It's not incompatible with previous games, but only with physical UMDs. Any PSP title downloaded and tied to your PSN account will be playable on the Vita.
I dunno if Stahn knows about this, but Neptunia Mk2 is coming out in english on Feburary. If ya knew sorry, haven't seen the past few pages if you said anything. Kinda annoyed I just found out about this now, but excited that it's coming out.
I've been following its release info via Siliconera. Not the best site in terms of writing and/or content, but the info is useful. There's a buch of stuff coming out this Feb/Mar that I want. My wallet's gonna hate me. (As well as myself...)
gohanrice said:
It's not incompatible with previous games, but only with physical UMDs. Any PSP title downloaded and tied to your PSN account will be playable on the Vita.
As far I have heard you have to pay you PSP games again to be able play them. It's digital distribution form. Still kinda pain in the ass since you have to pay again for a game you already paid ones.
I prefer how Nintendo did it where you can still play games from the Gameboy Color.
StahnAileron said:
I've been following its release info via Siliconera. Not the best site in terms of writing and/or content, but the info is useful. There's a buch of stuff coming out this Feb/Mar that I want. My wallet's gonna hate me. (As well as myself...)
Really? I haven't checked Feburary's game releases yet, what else might there be?
FoliFF said:
As far I have heard you have to pay for PSP games again to be able play them. It's digital distribution form. Still kind of a pain in the ass since you have to pay again for a game you already paid for once.
That's only for games you have on UMD. PSN downloaded titles you don't have to pay for again. But really, who here has a PSP that bought UMDs?
Bardiche752 said:
Really? I haven't checked Feburary's game releases yet, what else might there be?
Tales of Graces F is in Mar, along with ME3. However, since I'm following release news via Siliconera, I may be confusing stuff with JPN releases as well.

Still Nepu MK2, ToG:F, and ME3 are the ones at the top of my list. Pretty sure I had other stuff I was at least interested at looking into, but I don't recall them now ^_^;
gohanrice said:
But really, who here has a PSP that bought UMDs?
I have 21 UMDs and use custom firmware (needed on my pspGO to play the rips from my old psp).
I prefer my JPN imports to be UMD. It simplifies many headaches with the import scene and DDL games. (Namely maintainly 2 accounts and finding ways to add funds to the JPN PSN.)

In fact, nearly all my JPN PSP games are UMD. The exceptions are the 2 I got for free from the PSN outage. I'm about half and half with NA vs JPN UMDs. I used to have more NA UMDs, but I wound up re-buying a few titles in DDL form for the convenience. I gave the UMD copies to friends.

Anyway, without a JPN Credit Card (or easy access to non-inflated JPN PSN Fund cards), physical media is the way to go for imports.

And don't forget the fact some people had PSPs even before PSN was up and running, much less when DDLs became possible or typcial. If you were an early to mid-life adopter, you have UMDs. Also, some games don't even have a DDL version available (typically the older ones at this point though). I got my PSP in 2007. PSN only debuted in late 2006 with the PS3. DDL's were not around then. The PSP release beat PSN by nearly 2 years. (Assuming JPN dates. Less for other regions, but still significant otherwise.)

I'll be one of the possibly many that will have to keep a PSP around for the UMD games they own as well as a PSV (though I tend to be a mid-life adopter, not a an early adopter, anyway.) Actually, even some new games (espcially in JPN), don't even get DDL versions. Most of my import JPN games don't have DDL versions at all (though some do have DLC, funny enough...)
Yeah, the first Nanoha game had that extra stuff and they did DLC for that. I'm glad they aren't adding more to it (to my knowledge) for the 2nd game. But it doesn't mean there wouldn't exactly be DLC. Costumes and such would be a factor. Though they might not want to do any DLC at all. It's hard enough to navigate the JPN PSN on the PSP and find what you're looking for. Tried to see if they had the previous DLC for that extra thing for Nanoha but it looks like they removed most or all of it.
After watching some videos of some MMORPG's 2 of them really caught my attention:
Blade and Soul and Continental of the Ninth(C9). That was maybe a 2 or 3 years ago... now after all the time C9 is finally going to have a global launch(from what i read). I don't know much about when Blade and Soul is going to be released to the west but i hope it's soon. Here are some videos if you don't know what i'm talking about.

C9
Blade and Soul
Bardiche752 said:
Yeah, the first Nanoha game had that extra stuff and they did DLC for that. I'm glad they aren't adding more to it (to my knowledge) for the 2nd game. But it doesn't mean there wouldn't exactly be DLC. Costumes and such would be a factor. Though they might not want to do any DLC at all. It's hard enough to navigate the JPN PSN on the PSP and find what you're looking for. Tried to see if they had the previous DLC for that extra thing for Nanoha but it looks like they removed most or all of it.
The old Nanoha DLC is still there. The JPN PSN organization is a bit more convoluted. It's arrange is a similar fashion as to how games are organized in an actual retail store.

Gears of Destiny has DLC as well, though it's just he promo code for Santa and Movie version costumes for Nanoha and Fate. No mini-game or extras like Battle of Aces. Extras would be nice, but they releasing none is easier on my wallet and sanity anyway.

I'm busy enough grinding the game now to unlock all the skills. I cleared almost all of story mode (Zafira sucks against armored U-D, BTW >_<). I'm just missing Zaffie's fights during the all-Wolkenritter sequence. I got up to fight 84 or so in Survival (spamming the hell out of Nanoha ^_~). I hate how you can only get ONE skill unlock per run of any Single Player mode (Survival and Arcade.) Arcade mode is all about luck getting to fight someone with a new skill equipped so you can unlock it. Survival fights don't even have skills equipped until the 3 cycle, fight 47 and up >_> Oh, I still need to do some of the requirements to unlock the tier 3 skills in story mode (instead of leaving it to chance in Arcade or Survival.)
I was wondering how you unlock skills per say I read it was random in Arcade, takes awhile in survival, and I don't know about Time Attack. I've done all the fights for Story Mode but I don't know the exact requirements to do tier 3 skills. I've gotten some but on the twins and Presea, they have one but the others don't have it.
Most are just completing everything, but a JPN wiki seems to note 1 or 2 skills need a specific sequence of char fights in Story Mode. Most (if not all) of the Tier 3 skills are in the Final Sequence. I'm currently missing the Signum-Hayate fight sequence skill from there, plus I think one more T3. I'm missing another 6 normal skills other than the T3's.
I most ardently beg for your forgiveness and pardons rendering, permission to start myself over on THIS thread from now onwards.

OK, like I had been saying before, sure Japan of any, every, all places can make some still good video games, but also some worthwhile computer games too??
Including ones anime related, inspired, homaged, derived, or even parodied for that matter.

P.S. Word has it that Japan also has these....... 'EROGE'.
I think you are looking for Visual Novels or VN for short. Which is rather unique to Japan. I have yet to see a western VN. While eroge is more a adult genre in the category. I will recommend Clannad VN (It's for all ages and rather old). If you are looking for eroge then ask uncle Google. He has many to offer for your particular taste.

And of course there is other Japanese games out there such as JRPG and many more. Though I'm not that knowledge about them except for some exception. Since the hidden gems Japan have to offer normally sadly gets ignored by the western countries.
FoliFF said:
[...] I have yet to see a western VN. [...]
There's technically the 4chan-produce "Katawa Shoujo" now. It was just recently released after 4-5 years of production (this is 4chan afterall.) It's freeware. If you want to try it, just be aware of the content since the title translate to "Cripple Girl". Yes, it's probably what you're thinking.

Also, JPN PC gaming is mainly dominate by MMO's of some sort, VN's, and Doujin/Indie games. Otherwise, it's a pretty console-heavy region.

Eroge is mainly a subset of Visual Novels, though not totally exclusive to that genre. It's just the most dominant. I've seen ero-shmups as well... ^_^ Sentimental Shooting is an example of an non-VN eroge. Fun too. ("Eroge" is just the short form of "ero geimu/geemu": Erotic Game.)
Don't know if you guys already know but there is a petition for Dark Sould to be available to PC. Sign up if you are intressted. Best of all the developers consider this and port it over to PC. Only if the intreset of the game are high enough.
I do, however, have a nack for 'collecting' Age of Empires games. Other than that, I do have the StarCraft Battle Chest but not yet StarCraft II: WingsofLiberty.
I really want to get it sooooo badly so that I would want to be ready and able for
the next expansion/installment- the Heart of the Swarm......which is going to come out around THIS springtime, THIS year, very SOON.
Also, has anyone here heard about this FPS called Hard Reset?
I for one hear that it is a most fascinating game to play.
I've heard Hard Reset was an okay game, but it wasn't anything to write home about.
Question:Why the hell do programmers keep trying to fuse cars and swords?!?
Examples: Devil May Cry 4, Nero's sword could "rev" ,while still a good game, buged the shit out of me. And earlier I saw a screenshot of FFXIII and his handguard is an engine! WTF!
Swords are supposed to be simple, elegant, deadly in their beauty. Not some technological cluster fuck.
Really? You wouldn't like the sword one of my RP characters is using then.
I like it when they trick swords out. I mean Bleach does it but not in the technological sense, but what they use are still swords even though they don't look like it sometimes. Swords can be simple, but also have weird designs, it's just how people are.

Btw who's handguard is an engine? I've played XIII, there's nothing really like that, per say that I can remember. The sword that Lightning has was cool too, it has a sword mode and gun mode. Plus there are Gunblades from VIII and other games.
I think the sword I'm referring to is from FF verses XIII.
post #105494
So I'm playing Gears of Destiny, the Nanoha PSP game. I find it odd that Vivio (as her Sankt Kaiser form) has the Gainax boob bounce... (Quite pronounced bounce at that...)

But Reinforce doesn't... *scratches head* WTF...?

I ahven't check the other chars... But it kinda telling I haven't noticed a bounce on the other chars yet other than on Vivio. She's that bouncy...

Oh, and I find it funny they skimped on on details for Presea/Precia: she doesn't have legs for her model ^_^; All because she has a full-length dress. The eldest char in the game (physically) and all she can give for fanservice is cleavage. All the other skirt wearers give you a pantyshot on defeat ^_^; (Figures they'd give Nanoha pink ones... <_< )
I've just checked this out on one of my facebook pages.
There already seems to be four games of Strike Witches for the XBOX 360.
( I could guess that there might be more besides that. )
Has anyone checked these out......firsthand maybe???
Please respond.
All of them are for JPN 360 only so far. Mainly as DL games I think too. (A couple might be full retail). I don't have a 360, period, much less a JPN one.
There's, I think, a DS one as well. All of them are shooters of some type (I know one or two are just shmups, actually.)
If I recall correctly, that are all side scrolling shooters. Since I suck at those I haven't bothered looking much into them.