Cheezus wrong image lol, original is 750x534 here, here is the direct link, no idea why it changed to the thumbnail -.-
1) Most of the lack of quality is in the source. Not only is that small but it also has a lot of artifacts. Increasing the size AND using noise reduction usually doesn't work well.

2) That's more than 2x. If you're going to increase the size, just use 2x. The larger you make it, the more the flaws and lack of detail stands out. Images here don't need to fit a standard resolution or AR.

3) A good scan source will have a very large resolution and little to no JPEG artifacts. Losses occur during printing and scanning. So when scanning, care should be taken to preserve as much of the quality as possible. If you ever have a scan that's too small for this site, that's a bad source.
Roger that, will keep it in mind
Post #259149
Thought it was the same image like Post #259152 but in a higher resolution but it was not.
Otherwise there is nothing wrong with the image I guess.

Could someone please bring it back?

Edit: Whoever did it, thank you. :3
Post #259717

Wasn't a revision as I thought.
The artist just delete the old post to put it in a 2 image set but it's the same as before.

Sooo...I couldn't reupload it and need help. :3
I grossly misunderstood the stipulation about minimum aspect ratio and—yes, this doesn’t seem possible—never connected those aspect ratios with the idea of landscape rather than portrait orientation.

So I submitted a few images that were wholly unsuitable (and that were rightly modded out immediately). Subsequently, in poking around, I found the appropriate page in the wiki, giving full detail on upload stipulations.

I didn’t know to whom to apologize for wasting their time, so I’m doing it here: forgive my cloddishness!
It's fine. Thank YOU for being so nice and reasonable about it. :)
To be honest, I think the first one looks better. The art looks nicer.

It didn't have anything to do with her body.
otaku_emmy said:
To be honest, I think the first one looks better. The art looks nicer.

It didn't have anything to do with her body.
Then what does it have to with? Just preference?
I didn't hate the one you posted, but I guess no one else bothered to approve it either.

It wasn't a bad drawing, but her face was kind of...strange, somehow.
Septentrion_P said:
Post #262846 gets approved instantly but post #262640 is not approved for 3+ days
... By drawing a comparison between the two, you're implying that you believe the deleted post is superior. You probably should have explained your reasons for thinking so in order to get your point across.

Personally, I wouldn't have approved either one. In both, the legs bother me, but for different reasons. In both the breasts look weird and are borderline oversized (though in post #262640 they look more like balloons than breasts).

Though in general, I believe the artwork is far superior in post post #262846. Far more attention to detail and better use of shading.
So how about putting "could be better" as the reason or "Not our preference".
Someone else has mentioned this before...

For me personally, it's just simpler to write "not approved for 3+ days" than try to adequately put in to words WHY something wasn't approved, or why I didn't approve it (which would make it a personal thing and not am impersonal act of moderating). There was never a rule stating we HAD to give reasons for things being deleted after the allotted three days.
Septentrion_P said:
Images that are deleted after 3 days generally meet the quantitative requirements of konachan (resolution, aspect ratio, demographics) but lack some qualitative quantity - which may well be different for each moderator.

I had once in the past started to put a primary reason that I personally did not approve an image after 3 days when I deleted it, because I thought uploaders deserved something more than <not approved in 3 days>, the result however was that I provided a starting point for an argument.

It is left to the initiative of the uploader to provide positive reasons why an image should be resurrected. Generally, comparisons to existing images are insufficient. It is better to point out the specific attributes of an image that would make it worthwhile to keep.
I'm pretty sure these images would have been approved years ago. Before this was a visual novel site, it was an anime site. Sometime, shading would include more than two colors, and it was considered nice and not required.
There are lots of subpar and frankly bad quality images on this site, yes. But I like to think our standards have raised since then.

There are plenty of things I'd personally like to delete, but I can't really be bothered and I was told it was best to leave older stuff alone anyways.
I'm completely supportive of preserving the old images just for their cultural relevance.
Look at Murzac's OC. It's garbage, but it's a piece of the community's history.
No one was going to delete old stuff anyways. I'm just saying Sep siting old, crappy images as what should be accepted NOW isn't going to fly.

I mean, there's art that's more "recent" than that that should never have been approved. Some actual ugly stuff. But I don't wanna be a bitch and bring it up so I ignore it.
Septentrion_P said:
I'm pretty sure these images would have been approved years ago. Before this was a visual novel site, it was an anime site. Sometime, shading would include more than two colors, and it was considered nice and not required.
Years ago:
  • There was less art on the site.
  • The computer aided drawing tools artists use today did not exist or were much more crude, as a result the general level of artwork today is more detailed with better shading and more accurate lighting effects.
  • Different contributors, whose uploads are automatically approved and generally not intensively reviewed by moderation.
  • There was a different moderation staff.
We only delete old images if they don't meet the quantitative guidelines - occasionally such an image is flagged or a mod stumbles across one, otherwise these old images are grandfathered. Images more than a month old are generally grandfathered.

If you think an image should be kept, the most persuasive argument is to point out the specific attributes of an image that make is worth keeping such as a interesting shading technique/perspective/lighting effect, specific/interesting content.... comparisons to older or other images generally don't carry much weight.
So the image that was kept does looks enough like game CG.

I understand know that while the image that was delete does look better than any drawn animation, it's too close to anime to ever be accepted here at this Site of Quality.

I hope you all enjoy your post anime Konachan. Just look at the year post popular images. Safe rated pictures were purge long ago, but now even the questionable ones have been shoved out of that page.

And of course, people being up this stagnant community. Such culture: we keep crappy images from the dark anime age. Such historical value to about 12 people. The users don't even need to be considered with historical inconsistency.

But this is a direction you seem proud of. Well, may konachan's quality rise so far that only screenshots will be accepted here.
Septentrion_P said:
... We use "Not approved for 3 days" to make it clear that the post was given a chance, but no mod doing approvals saw fit to approve it. So it should be obvious that any such post "could be better".

If a post has only one fault leading to a deletion, it will normally stand out. You will probably see someone comment about it. And depending on how bad it is, the post may even be deleted instantly.

However, most posts that are deleted after 3 days have multiple minor faults. Nothing so severe that a mod would delete it on sight. But enough to prevent any mod from approving it.

Septentrion_P said:
Thankfully, our standards have improved! Unlike the early days of this site, we no longer allow endless versions of the same CG. And since post 200000, only about 8.5% of posts have been game CGs.

Game CGs are drawn professionally, but usually on a tight schedule/budget. They usually can't compare to what many artists can do by putting a lot of effort into a single image.
Good evening,

It's not about an deleted image (yet) but they didn't get approved.
Just wanted to know whats the problem is bc they are all from the same artist and game.

post #263012 and post #263013
We're stricter about JPEG artifacts in game CGs because nearly all VNs use a lossless image format. A JPEG game CG almost always means someone extracted the CG incorrectly and lowered the quality as a result.
Aaah, I see, so it is.
I'm trying to avoid those game cgs then. :3
I haven't touched them because I know that we prefer our game CGs to be in PNG with no artifacts at all. I figured I'd let Zolxys or someone else judge them.
Thanks for explaining, Zolxys. Most new game CG packs all have BMP or PNG files. You can find them on both Nyaa and Animesharing. It has been a while since a full CG pack has been uploaded. Maybe I'll upload and create a pool for Riddle Joker (sorry for going off topic, I'll stop here).
Well, this really feels like konachan has become something different. It's like a collective personal collection. I don't think there are enough judges. There should be enough so you don't have to guess preferences. I'm also not the only one plagues with 3+ days.

Like, the Jpeg CG shouldn't linger.
Different from what? This is a wallpaper website. We don't accept a lot of things, and we have a high standard of quality. People upload things and it either gets approved or it doesn't. It has nothing to do with favoritism. I approve things all the time that I don't necessarily like or find appealing. It's not about "preferences". If it were based on the whims of individual mods, shit would be deleted all the time with petty reasons being given or things that SHOULDN'T be approved would get approved because someone liked it on a personal level.

As for the game CGs you've mentioned, which have nothing to do with your initial complaint, I haven't approved them because I personally have trouble seeing JPEG artifacts sometimes. So I've left them for someone else to look at. Nothing that is in limbo is being actively ignored. I literally look at every new image that's uploaded. If something is obviously not worth approving, I delete it. But since I know I can't speak for everyone, I leave certain things for others to look at. That's how moderating works. This isn't MY site, and it's not YOUR site. We can't all have our own ways.
otaku_emmy said:
Different from what? This is a wallpaper website. We don't accept a lot of things, and we have a high standard of quality.
Except there have a double standard for historical post. I like historical Konachan, and the mods like the historical pictures.

or things that SHOULDN'T be approved would get approved because someone liked it on a personal level.
like the mascot?

Edit: i posted after the edit.

As for the game CGs you've mentioned, which have nothing to do with your initial complaint, I haven't approved them because I personally have trouble seeing JPEG artifacts sometimes. So I've left them for someone else to look at. Nothing that is in limbo is being actively ignored. I literally look at every new image that's uploaded. If something is obviously not worth approving, I delete it. But since I know I can't speak for everyone, I leave certain things for others to look at. That's how moderating works. This isn't MY site, and it's not YOUR site. We can't all have our own ways.
It seems like your not interested in striking images down. I'm pretty sure some obsessive pruning in going on. It also seems you haven't got your share of input.

I can't help but think the deletion rate may be counterproductive. What does the user need in wallpaper. Honestly, if you can't find a jpeg artifact after scanning, it won't bother the typical user while all his/her icons cover the wallpaper. I know score won't save an image. User level quality is what matters to me. Exclusive club level quality is just a source of self-congratulation.