You make it sound like a very beautiful place. :)

Plus it's always good to hear about countries where foreigners are actually welcomed.
Someone's trying to argue with me because they think puppies and dogs are two different things.
The context is important in order to judge that...

For example:
[A]: "I don't really care about dogs."
[B]: "Huh? You seemed interested in those puppies we saw last week."
[A]: "Dogs and puppies are entirely different things!"

You could nitpick about his choice of words, but by that he would simply mean that there's a huge difference in how puppies and older dogs are perceived.
...This person was literally saying that puppies AREN'T dogs. That they're two totally different living creatures.

That's like saying a baby isn't human.

A puppy is, by definition, a young DOG.

Would you look at a picture of a puppy and say, "That's not a dog."? Because that's exactly what this person did, which prompted my reply to them in the first place.
Eclipse tomorrow. I'm looking forward to it.
So which of you googled "my eyes hurt" after the eclipse?
Tensa said:
So which of you googled "my eyes hurt" after the eclipse?
Interesting, that it is very difficult to find raw data on that search term, only normalized trend data.
I did look at it without my safety glasses just for a second. But my vision is terrible anyway, so I'm fine.

I was lucky in that my dad had bought the eclipse glasses over a month prior to the event. Maybe even two months.

I heard people were trying to sell extra pairs they had for, like, ten bucks a pop.
The best way to view an eclipse is to use a pair of binoculars, well only one side, to focus an image of the sun onto flat pavement. You get a much sharper, higher contrast, magnified image then if you use a filter to look directly - and it is absolutely safe to view this way. I had an opportunity to see a total eclipse many years ago and that is how we did it. Special glasses were not widely available back then. My dad did have a couple of shade 11 welding helmets that we used back-to-back to double up on the filters, but these gave a very green tint to the sunlight.
otaku_emmy said:
I did look at it without my safety glasses just for a second. But my vision is terrible anyway, so I'm fine.
My eyesight is excellent yet I can usually look at the sun for a whole second or two without a problem. I may be different though... When I was young, I always wondered why people warned against doing that. If I try to look at the sun too long, I automatically close my eyes before any permanent issues develop. Much the same way I can't hold my breath long enough to pass out.

*Edit
Not all people are the same though. There are a number of things about me that have let people to ask (jokingly or otherwise) if I'm really human. To name a few I can remember:
1) If I work harder than I'm used to during the day, I'm more energetic and restless that night.
2) Caffeine doesn't keep me up. It may even help me get to sleep when I want to, though it doesn't make me drowsy during the day.

I would list more, but I have to go...
otaku_emmy said:
NSFW
On a related NSFW topic, go search up A Prince Albert piercing...
On a related note as well, a friend of mine who's a professional piercer gave himself 3 dydoe piercings in a row. This Friday he redid one of them because it looked off center.
Tommy, how is the flooding situation in your area? I have relatives in Houston, but I have not been able to contact them :(
Kiho said:
Tommy, how is the flooding situation in your area? I have relatives in Houston, but I have not been able to contact them :(
Well I'm living in Virginia at the moment, so I'm not sure. Where at in Houston are they? I'll see if I have some people nearby to see if they've heard anything.
My Sister, who lives in Maine says that most of Houston is without power. My Sister in Houston lives due west of the city center not far from the Sam Houston Tollway (route 8) where it crosses the West Park tollway. What I see in the news, is that downtown central Houston is pretty much flooded out :(. The storm maps show also that New Orleans is getting hammered with a lot of rain too, but New Orleans is small fry compared to Houston.
IT'S CALLED "ARBY'S" BECAUSE IT WAS FOUNDED BY THE RAFFLE BROTHERS! AAAUUUGGGHHH!!!!
otaku_emmy said:
IT'S CALLED "ARBY'S" BECAUSE IT WAS FOUNDED BY THE RAFFLE BROTHERS! AAAUUUGGGHHH!!!!
Eh?
TommyGunn said:
Eh?
The roast beef place?

Raffel Brothers' = R.B.'s = Arby's
Shot in the dark here, but does anyone have any good gift ideas for someone who likes outer space? Preferably something DIY?
otaku_emmy said:
Shot in the dark here, but does anyone have any good gift ideas for someone who likes outer space? Preferably something DIY?
Spaceship? Spaceship.
TommyGunn said:
Spaceship? Spaceship.
That's way out of my price range (and also it can't be something I have to buy online). But that does look cool.

Damn, it's actually really hard trying to think of something. I got until Christmas, but still. Maybe I'm overthinking it. A nice lighter and a card would suffice. And maybe something for his dog.

Edit: I got it! Homemade ashtray!
otaku_emmy said:
That is a pretty wide open question, how old is this person? Interested in outer space as an Astronomer or as an Astronaut? Or as in SciFi?

buy online without a credit card

If the person is interested in Astronomy, consider going onto the NASA site and downloading a selection of nice high res Hubble images, (annotate the file names with what the image is of) would be nice screen saver pack - and it would cost only your time and the price of a USB stick.

If the person is interested in Space Exploration and Astronauts, Nasa should also have some good images of Astronauts and ISS for a screen saver.

If SciFi that is too wide open a topic to suggest without some more details ;)
He's interested in space exploration. The idea of being able to travel through space and learn more about what's beyond. I also know he's big in to that EVE Online game. He's like a pro at it.

But I think what I'll do is I'll get him a cool looking Zippo, make him an ashtray, give him a book, add something for his small dog, maybe some candy, and top it off with a nice card. That doesn't sound too shitty.
Just picked up a movie we ordered, "Dangal". Ordered it from India on ebay. Indians sure know how to pack something for shipping so that it will not be casually opened!

Oh, the movie....
O_o that's some movie.
I'm impatient for autumn and Halloween. I love October.
It'd probably be fun to dress up and go to a party or something (and drink).
If only anyone would ever want you at their party.