Freenight said:
Wha-? Hey! You're exempting me!
Well to be fair, I'd be excluded also. My user record is nil.
Dede said:
Maybe it can be based on the positive records given out by staff members. *shrug*
There tends to be less than 1 +1 per month so that just wouldn't work.
The last 4 positive records were exceptions since I asked some users if they would like to provide a translation for said paragraph. And since they did I kindly granted those positive records. But in fact it's rare to see even a single positive record in a month.
Most of the time they are used for the negative and if it is warnings and such, when you fix the tagging error you did, only twice. It's not like it will disappear.
The system is also outweighed. For example a "-1" could be for a silly tagging error or a for severe behavior which required an immediate temporary ban. Most people have "0" or less report. It exempts too many people on its own.
Charly said:
But in fact it's rare to see even a single positive record in a month.
Well then maybe we should give snackboxes out with +1s lol.
slayerduck said:
What about just a minimum requirement to participate into the pool?

Example, if a user reached one of these stats:
20+ Approved Images
50+ Tag edits
20+ Forum posts
50+ Comments

Or something like this, ppl contribute in different ways.
I'd say reaching ALL of those states? I'm unsure.... if it's ONE of them, I'd say to raise the amount a bit.

And regarding staff having priority.... wha. I'd say give Sarah priority. Free food.
Tensa said:
And regarding staff having priority.... wha. I'd say give Sarah priority. Free food.
*Frowns*
Rather than doing it with such a half-hearted gesture, we might as well do a collection round and give her enough money to sustain herself for everyday of the week for a period of time.
Freenight said:
*Frowns*
Rather than doing it with such a half-hearted gesture, we might as well do a collection round and give her enough money to sustain herself for everyday of the week for a period of time.
Shit. That'd be awesome.
out of topic, but that would be awesome, but people needs to give the money, dont know where she lives, but a week worth of food is quite expensive lol...
minabiStrikesAgain said:
We go with the above four categories, plus wiki edits as a 5th category (15 or 20+ minimum sounds reasonable to me). I think image comments aren't much different from forum posts, so I would also suggest taking that 50+ minimum down a notch to make it closer to the minimum for forum posts. And we keep an eye on all of these and try to ensure that they aren't bogus edits or posts made to qualify without the intended amount of participation.

But we award Konaites with one chance to win for every category minimum they reach. So somebody who only meets the forum posts minimum in a given month would get one raffle ticket for that month, whereas somebody who meets both the comments and tag edits minimums would get two raffle tickets, and so on with somebody that fulfills all 5 minimums having 5 raffle tickets. This way we could preserve the incentive functionality of the contest and even expand it to more than just image uploads, while also providing a wider variety of options.
This system would require us to stay up to date with everyone participating, i think thats to much work ;/
Been following the thread. The law of unintended consequences looms large.

Ramblings

Serious Stuff:
What is the goal of the raffle?

• If it is to reward the regulars, then this should be a discussion by invite only. (I think it would be great to reward the Mods and contributors - Konachan is very fortunate to have a group of dedicated active and responsible volunteers.) If the raffle were only open to these volunteers, the rules could be quite different, then if open to the average user.
  • If it is to encourage the occasional visitor to return regularly, then a better cost function would be to require regular logins per/week/month along with some number of post views each time to qualify for the raffle. The goal is to get people to create a user account and return and browse the site regularly. Some will become contributing regulars.
Musings on quotas:
Kiho said:
  • If you have a lot of people competing for tags, only the image uploaders will make the quotas.
I disagree, since there's a virtually endless supply of older posts (I estimate 120,000) that are not yet fully tagged, and maybe half that that are missing at least half the tags that they qualify for in order to be fully tagged. So unless multiple thousands of users got involved with the raffle and focused on a tag editing quota, there wouldn't be any competition for a while.

Kiho said:
What is the goal of the raffle?
spoiler
Minabi, you really need a tl;dr for your post. :P
Say, whatever happened to this?
Ehhh.. i been busy, totally forgot about this. I'll let Jlist know