This topic is locked.

Japan earthquake
I just heard about the second nuclear plant blowing up, and since their isn't one already, I decided to make a forum about the disaster.

I also finished watching Tokyo Magnitude 8.0 two weeks ago, which made this disaster all the more interesting. I would like to know how well they researched for that and see how accurate it was. Seemed pretty close in some of the key points, like the epicenter.

Post if you or anyone you know was affected by the earthquake. Also say what you are doing to help. Pretty much anything related to the disaster, but try not to put common knowledge like something you can see just by turning on the news.
I have a relative, who lives in Sapporo. Fortunately, the city wasn't affected by the disaster, so he's alright, but there's panic in whole Japan about radioactive contamination. I think Japan is one of the best prepared countries when it comes to earthquakes and tsunamis, but what worries everyone though is the nuclear explosions. We don't want another Chernobyl, right? I think if you want to help, the best way is sending the donation through your local Japanese Embassy, or Red Cross.
My brother is in the military (USA's) and is stationed in Japan, he is also married to a Japanese lady. So far though, no Red Cross contact to the family, so as far as I know hes alright. Of course, as part of the military, even though he is not a medic, he is most likely helping out people. But still, if he is alright, I would at least like to see an email from him saying so. :(

And while there has been a second explosion at the reactor, it so far has not gone into meltdown mode...and here is hoping that it will not either.
My brother went 2 days prior to the quake. I haven't heard anything from him yet.
I don't really have anyone I know personally in Japan as far as I know. I have never been there before, but I would love to go there some day. So hope it does alright after this disaster is over.
forgerofsouls said:
And while there has been a second explosion at the reactor, it so far has not gone into meltdown mode...and here is hoping that it will not either.
Second? Isn't it the third one? In order: Reators 1, 3, and the one that was more mortal and preocupating: Reator 2.
Huh, I only heard of two explosions...but...that was about eight hours ago...maybe Reactor 2 has yet to explode but it might soon?

Update: Reactor 2 is currently UNDAMAGED. It was Reactor 4 that just recently exploded. So basically 1, 3, and now 4 are boomed...
Update from my last post...things have gotten worse...as is expected from the reactor. Otherwise, my brother and his wife are fine. Also...the earthquake and the tsunami it created sent some nasty swells that hit even the west coast of America. Oregon took over one million dollars worth of damage from the swells tearing apart piers. But beyond that I have not heard of any one on the west coast in either north or south America getting injured from this. So, lets hope that the crisis with the reactor does not go critical.

Correction: It was California and not Washington that was hit. Both states individually took more damage than Hawaii did to. :(
I'm in southern California now. not noticing any damage where I live, but then again I am far from the coast.
Yeah, damage was at the coast obviously. Cause it was the swells from the tsunami that caused the damage. So only coastal regions got hit.
To be true... what did they make wrong to deserve something like that'? its so damn mean !
first a earthquake and a minute later theres the tsunami coming and destroys nearly everything,and attacks the Atomic plant!

Earthquake:Tsunami:Nuclear disaster:Volcanic eruption:Snow and the Radioactivity !
Now the ones that are still lying under all the stuff does have to fear that they freeze to death !

if i would believe in a "master/god" up there, then i would want to know what they did wrong,to deserve such a punishment -.-

i wonder what comes next, to me it does really looks like theres a upper might that want to "erase" them from their existence ><

It's not normal thats there are so much disasters coming one after another !
my opinion.
The only reason for god to punish them, that I can think of: Overpopulation, clearing some room for more people. I think the earthquake will make the island a little bigger (remembering a discovery made by Darwin, i think. i read in biology) and their will be less people to take up room. Don't want to be rude by saying this, but if you want a reason for god to do this, that's it. Or maybe he wasn't paying attention and wasn't able to stop or minimize it in time. Some things go on without him noticing, which can cause them to go out of control.
And then they should say again "god does see everything!and is everywhere" XD
well and my brother said that tehre are many people that dont believe in god.
but thats still no reason for divine punishment !

And what u said makes sense,they are or "were" overpopulated....

and i did watch a Docu about How a tsunami works and where "CAN" come one.
In the USA near Washington theres a "plate" that moves 10cm every year and one day it will create a earthquake =tsunami directly in the USA. dunno how the place where called again.
There was no reason for it. It was only an act of mother nature. Mother nature is random and uncaring. Her wrath touches all with not concern for any reason what so ever. God is not one to do such a thing. God had nothing to do with this. And if you think otherwise, well, stop being so shallow. According to the bible God did want people to populate the earth, to exceed the number of stars and grains of sands or something like that. So, if this was God's act because of over population, that would meant the bible is wrong. Well...than again...while I believe in God, I do not believe in the bible. But my point still stands that its impossible for God to have done that due to "overpopulation" because that goes against what is taught in the bible.

This was not divine punishment. This was not karma. This was just a normal random act of nature. A few years back a large earthquake hit Chili. It was bigger than the one that hit Japan. The volcano in Washington (USA) which had been acting up recently had stopped its activities just before Japan's earthquakes. These are all connected (the Ring of Fire, The Pacific Rim), so my mom says there is a large chance that in a few years from now, the next one will hit either: California, Oregon, or Washington.

This is not divine punishment. Its all just natural disasters. Does that make it any less frightening or horrible? No, its still scary and horrible. But, its not God. For things like this, its best to prepare one self. And furthure more, God does not stop or start earthquakes, they are natural, he set up the earth as it is, and thus things happen automatically. He set them in motion eons ago, he does not control them, he lets them work naturally.
Well what you just said dont changes my opinion!
i still dont believe in god nor do i believe in the Bible.
Why do u think a Book does say the truth'?
well lets quite the "Religious stuff" here.

It happened and thats it,no need to search for someone responsible or some kind of culprit.
it happened and theres nothing to change about.

And also thanks for the corrections Forger !

btw,to see all the videos of japan and the disaster, makes me imagine how the world end would look like.
Well i wish everyone a nice day and good night,and for all the others a nice stay :)
have a nice day !
forgerofsouls said:
Update: Reactor 2 is currently UNDAMAGED. It was Reactor 4 that just recently exploded. So basically 1, 3, and now 4 are boomed...
My bad, reactor 2 is only leaking radioactivity.

Oh, and about the end of this world: it will only end when the sun engulfs it around 7.6 billion years from now. But the end of humanity, oh, this I am sure that will end pretty soon...
I agree with Keck,Humanity seems to end soon ^w^
but i dont care when, it happens when it happens and the time comes.-
no need to be afraid.
in Germany the experts do say "only 48h more and the nuclear disaster begins" means Meltdown !
^^
I only put those as if it where gods doing. I know that he didn't do this. He made the world a completely automatic machine. He does some repairs every now and then, and occasionally gives a little helping hand here and there. But other than that, he watches things and does his best to make things go smoothly.
Err...
This is getting a little off topic, let's not stick to the reasons Mr. God, existing or no, did this or didn't did this to Japan, this might end on some ideal confrontation...
Well, that's just my opinion of course, the creator of the topic is the deciding one...
Just when some of the last victims of the A-bomb's radiation poison are dying off, this incident happens at the nuclear power plant.
The world is cruelly ironic isn't it?
Well "Einstein" said back there "dont mess with Atomic stuff! get your hands of it !"
He saw all those trouble coming.

Well im really interested what happens next to japan... i hope it does end well.

btw...there are some "live streams" in the internet about the Chaos in Japan, did you guys seen them'?
Cypress said:
Well "Einstein" said back there "dont mess with Atomic stuff! get your hands of it !"
He saw all those trouble coming.

Well im really interested what happens next to japan... i hope it does end well.

btw...there are some "live streams" in the internet about the Chaos in Japan, did you guys seen them'?
NHK World is doing a nice coverage.
U-STREAM
Nicovideo
I've just heard they've succeeded in partially restoring power to the plant. If they can restore full power, and start up the normal cooling system, the situation won't get any worse. (which is already bad enough) It will be the worst nuclear accident since Chernobyl, but nowhere near it.
Oh My God. That's all I will say when I'm looking at these before/after images from the quake and tsunami.

http://www.abc.net.au/news/events/japan-quake-2011/beforeafter.htm
What infuriates me, are people who are as cruel as this one.
Even if she was trolling, it is terribly inconsiderate.
I'd rather not give those type of people the time of day. If there's a God, let him be the judge. As for me, I'll ignore people like that as I think they ought to be ignored.

Do not feed
If there is God and that's what he decided...... ROW ROW FIGHT THE PAWA!
Mund said:
What infuriates me, are people who are as cruel as this one.
Even if she was trolling, it is terribly inconsiderate.
Now I feel like killing someone. Didn't watch the end though, bad internet here and it took too long, and the rage was building.
Don't think she was trolling, notice her face well: she looks incredibly crazy, even without the audio you can tell she's not a normal person.
She is definitely trolling. Her channel, before she deleted it, was a known for her trolling vids. And if you look at the video description, there is a link to her confession and a news article that interviewed her on the matter.

And btw, if by looking crazy, you mean devout, you should be careful to offend. Cause I for one would definitely be offended. (Although people who know me in RL do think I am crazy, but not because of my religious affiliation.)

But that point aside, the issue is that there are inconsiderate people who are figuratively adding fuel to the fire. For instance there are people who say that Japan deserved it because of what happened in the past. I of course don't think this is proper justification, yet there are people who seriously think this.