Tag Discussion - What are these tags for?
This topic is for the discussion of tags to be removed or Modified.
> Anyone can propose a tag and justify why it should be removed/modified.
> There will be a period of at least 7 days to discuss, and indeed to justify keeping it. 2 days for tag creation.
> Neglected or redundant tags are usual candidates, as are ones that shouldn't have been created.
> If no consensus it reached the tag remains as is, pending Admin decision.

Outcomes:
> Tag is kept as is.
> Tag is kept and given a clear definition on its wiki.
> Tag is put on alias approval list to alias to existing tag.
> Tag is manually converted to an existing tag.
> Tag is removed.

You can also post for tag implication but make sure to clearly indicate this is what you are proposing.
If anyone posts in comments for tag removal direct them here so it is easier for everyone to find.

Here is a reference list of all current general and style tags (besides Vocaloid song tags) sorted by category, maintained by Kiho. If changes made in this thread are not reflected there soon afterwards, please post in that thread to bring attention to it.

-----------------------------------------------------------
leash bell hairbow earphones kill.
General tag under 3 can be killed as well.
fishnet is pretty much thighhighs
I agree with keeping elbow_gloves.

Some unused/useless ones I've found:
happy_birthday - Useless
silver_hair - Alias to gray_hair
necktie - tie already exists

Too many more to list. Just looking at the tag list, there are a ton of tags that are barely used. As in most of them.

Cuda007 said:
General tag under 3 can be killed as well.
56 pages out of 71 in general tags o.o

But I do agree with that.
Wait, you said under 3, my mistake.

Dang, still 52 pages of crap tags.
You know you can edit your own forum posts/comments.

A lot of those three to single use tags are actually copyright/artist/character. If anyone feels up to it do have a look and edit any you know to the correct type (edit is on the right).
Keep: {fruits}
If we already have some fruits tags, keep every of them, no matter how few posts they have. Reason? They belong to a maintained and very general category.
SciFi said:
You know you can edit your own forum posts/comments.
Yeah, I have no idea why I didn't just do that.

Found another: 3girls. Only 42 tags, and it seems somewhat pointless to me. I guess I could even argue 2girls as well.

It seems to me that the only reason 2girls exists is for kids who don't know the yuri tag. I mean, come on, why would anyone else search for a picture with two (or three) girls in it?

There are probably real reasons for 2girls and 3girls, but I just don't see it at the moment.
2girls and 3girls are used for non-yuri images, or at least thats what I use that tag for, I use it a lot when I'm searching through my favorits.
Makes sense, thanks. Learning stuff every time I post, haha!

EDIT: I'm beginning to see a trend, at least with myself, being a newer tagger and all. There are a lot of tags that simply don't have Wiki information; and thus I have to either make a mistake and learn from it, or I have to ask other members. Maybe we need to direct more efforts at clarifying why we use the tags we do. Just a thought.
I can see why we need 2girls but why the hell 3girls? When there more then 2, there should be something like multi_girls or something along those lines.

EDIT: If you have a question about a tag ask me or Scifi.
Cuda007 said:
If you have a question about a tag ask me or Scifi.
I definitely will, thanks.

I suppose group could be adapted for anything with more than two people. It's not really used too much though, only 209 tags.
group is for lager groups of characters mainly from different animes put into a large group.
post #43209 bing the best example.
That's sort of what I figured. It looks like at least half of the group tags out there feature 10 or less people. (Just an estimate, not a fact)

Yeah, this whole tag thing is turning into a nightmare very quickly. I can't remember where I saw it, but I think in an old forum post you suggested only allowing certain people to add tags.

I couldn't agree more.
Cuda007 said:
group is for lager groups of characters mainly from different animes put into a large group.
It's in need of a clear definition, and/or far better use.
I wouldn't call 4 characters, eg. post #63826, to be a large group. The users that can upload without approval are probably best at working out it's purpose.
gensokyo - It's barely used: it only has 15 tags. People can (and probably already do) search touhou + landscape if they want to see Touhou characters in a pretty outdoor setting.
Cuda007 said:
2girls and 3girls are used for non-yuri images, or at least thats what I use that tag for, I use it a lot when I'm searching through my favorits.
2girls and 3girls used on yuri images is very pointless since you can't have a yuri image with 1 girl
Cuda007 said:
If you have a question about a tag ask me or Scifi.
I just came across this: silver_hair vs. gray_hair?
sage_holo said:
gensokyo - It's barely used: it only has 15 tags. People can (and probably already do) search touhou + landscape if they want to see Touhou characters in a pretty outdoor setting.
No other copyright has its world tagged so that makes sense.
Yunocchi said:
I just came across this: silver_hair vs. gray_hair?
Already brought up.
I can add an alias for it (since it could arise again), but it won't go into effect until Shuugo approves it.
Oops, there it was already by sage_holo. Pardon me once again.

About half of the posts including a bass (whole 25 posts) have also been tagged with guitar, and some posts with a bass have the guitar tag instead. Keep both, or delete the bass tag altogether (since technically it's a guitar too)?
I think all tags such as drums, bass, guitar, piano, and the like should just be merged into the main instrument tag.
I was also wondering... shouldn't Scenic and Landscape be the same tag?
Xtea said:
I think all tags such as drums, bass, guitar, piano, and the like should just be merged into the main instrument tag.
I was going to object, but given how few there is of drums and piano it isn't really going to matter.

Zipporah-Mai said:
I was also wondering... shouldn't Scenic and Landscape be the same tag?
It wouldn't be the first time there was two tags for the same thing. Until it was aliased there was school_uniform and seifuku.
About the vocaloid song names, should they be marked as copyright like on danbooru?
They aren't really a copyright, more a TM or R.

leash, bell, hairbow, earphones, culture_festival, strawberries (I can find it from it's parent), fishnets, fence, lace, whip, necktie and frills will be deleted when the server gets to midnight (No clue when that is though).

silver_hair --> gray_hair is awaiting approval.
Note: grey_hair --> gray_hair already.

korokun said:
Keep: {fruits}
If we already have some fruits tags, keep every of them, no matter how few posts they have. Reason? They belong to a maintained and very general category.
If we keep the fruits they should have a fruit or food tag implied.
SciFi said:
If we keep the fruits they should have a fruit or food tag implied.
D'accord.

Remove: Circle tags (like 5_nenme_no_houkago or happy_birthday). Not relevant in a wallpaper site.

Note:
tsuki_ha_higashi_ni_hi_ha_nishi_ni (1) hani_hani (23)
Should be backwards.
Alias: 7 to madobe_nanami
Since the windows 7 os-tan has a name it makes sense to use it, and only it, rather than it and the os.

Removed: happy_birthday
This really isn't a tag removal issue, but I figured I'd bring it up here.

horo should be changed to holo. Also, craft_lawrence should be kraft_lawrence. It really isn't a huge deal, but the current spellings don't mesh with ANN/Wikipedia/etc.

EDIT: I also have no idea about nora_ardent. ANN lists two spellings and no last name, while wikipedia has nora_arendt. I'm going to just suggest going with the Wikipedia version.
Since when was horo, holo?
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Spice_and_Wolf

Last sentence in Holo's character description.
I've seen the anime, and they say horo plus, I thought there was no "l" in the Japanese language, thats why Luka is sometimes spelled Ruka.
Yeah, it is kinda odd. Phonetically (and in Japanese) it's horo.

And you are right on the "l" thing too.