Which AV packages fully support those browsers? The big AV companies support Microsoft, Firefox and Google Chrome - just checked Norton and Kaspersky. Many of the other browsers don't have full support or current support. Getting caught out can be really unpleasant. Just ask the DNC or the Clinton Campaign - lol
I believe PaleMoon is treated by many AVs as Firefox. You can always install an add-on to integrate your AV to PaleMoon, for example Fireclam.

There are a couple of link checkers for Opera, but no integration. You have to set-up your AV to scan downloads automatically.
Support? Any good AV package should be able to protect your computer without having to support your browser. In fact, most AV browser "support" is stuff like this.

The only real issues are tracking, spying scripts, spoofing sites, and security flaws in the browser. And the threat from these can be managed through proper considerations and common sense.
Ayye if ur finding a anti virus software u NEED MalWarebytes. It's the best
@Zolxys Yeah, I completely agree. I get rid of these things immediately. If I download something funny the AV finds it anyways, so what's the point. I use uMatrix, so there's no funny business with website scripts either.
I am in the market for a new laptop (mine ancient IBM T60 is dying - becoming very thermally sensitive) So, not having been in the market for a while....

Are there any brands that should be avoided, (unreliable or shitty service), any new must have features?

• My basic requirements are:
    • portable (not luggable my current unit is 28x31cm ~11x12 inches)
    • super thin does not earn any points.
    • Intel processor, preferably Core i5, but will settle for Core i3 if the feature set is better.
    • MS Windows compatible, but should be able to dual boot to Linux Ubuntu.
    • Whatever version of windows it comes with, I will be installing Win7
Details

My current laptop has an express card slot, so even though my computer is old, I still have the ability to use USB 3.0, USB Type C, eSata and support for all the SD card standards. Unfortunately ExpressCards seemed to have died off.
Reading those requirements I think either a Lenovo laptop or an MSI workstation would work, another option is to go for an XPS laptop from Dell, since other brands like ASUS, Aorus/Gigabyte, Razer focus more towards gaming type laptops and HP is famous for its graphic chips killing themselves via poor ventilation which leads to solder issues
I concur, Lenovo is probably the best choice at the moment. Check Lenovo ThinkPad 13 or X260. I don't recommend Asus, Razer and Alienware, they tend to be unreliable.
When I compare Lenovo (which made my current laptop (BM Thinkpad T60)) to MSI - which made the mother board of our server (Shana), which has been very reliable.....Feature for feature, MSI blows away Lenovo for the price point. I would note, that I have replaced the mother board in my T60 once, because one of the bridge chips is inadequately heat sunk and failed - the same symptoms I am experiencing again....similar to shaggy410's comment about HP's suicidal graphic chips....

Lenovo also is behind the curve on features. In particular to USB Type C ports - I have come to learn that these are in effect, the reincarnation of the PCI express port. There are quite a few adapters out there for this port. SO, if you what a computer that can live on usefully beyond its age, a USB Type C port is important to being able to add new interfaces to your machine.

While I have not yet made a final decision, I am leaning toward one of the MSI ME variant with a 15.6 inch screen portable workstation. Feature wise, Dell also falls short for the price point. Well, it has been nearly 10 years since I updated, so going for a higher end machine that I will keep for another 10 years is not excessive, all though I cannot justify a top end machine - the last 10% can cost 100% more :(
What about the W series of MSI (portable workstations)?

I've used some of those for development as well as other tasks when I was working with a friend, and gotta say, for a portable workstation they are solid as hell and pretty powerful
The MSI WE62 7RJ is currently the top contender on my list. The WS Series is too pricey (Oh, but for the pixel envy - 3840x2160!) and the WT series are waaay too pricey (and too big) - as in 2x *choke*.The Lenovo V510-15IKB I was originally considering is about 1/3 the price, however the feature set is lacking and it is already obsolete. I also looked at the Lenovo Thinkpad P50, but for the price, it really is feature lacking, although it also qualifies for Pixel envy.

I have now concluded that any new laptop I buy must have at least one USB Type-C port as this will become the defacto standard in the future and for expansion options as well - If I want a computer that will have decent longevity.
I may have gotten hacked last night, so in addition to a factory reset later, I'm now in the market for good antivirus software. I'm wondering what ya'll recomendations are.
For Windows?
Kaspersky Internet Security
Kiho said:
Kaspersky Internet Security
Got Kapersky too.
Works like a charm, I really have no complain about it.
Someone in the army recommend me this like 4 years ago, saying it was really good.
Any thoughts on Bitdefender? Seems to be a lot cheaper with black Friday, which Kaspersky isn't seeming to take part of being Russian and all.
Another solution, although it might be a bit more complex and depending on parts pricier (even though an old PC works like a charm, I use an old Opteron 140 based PC for it), but you could try building a PFSense box and using it as your router, inside it you can configure the firewall to let in only connections you trust and also you can configure a router level antivirus.

Been using this system in my house with around 40 to 60 devices connected from all my family and haven't had any issues so far. You can also use VPNs at router level and a whole lot of other configs like packet sniffing if you're extra paranoid about security

For standalone AVs in Windows, Kaspersky is a good option, Bitdefender is meh sometimes, idk if it still exists, but the Comodo AV and Firewall were pretty good to keep PCs safe and avoid server intrusions (used this while working in a company to block their server from installing the programs that the company wanted and installed what I normally used)
TommyGunn said:
Any thoughts on Bitdefender? Seems to be a lot cheaper with black Friday, which Kaspersky isn't seeming to take part of being Russian and all.
AV software is one place not to skimp. Just remember the inconvenience you are currently going though and that you never get more than you have paid for!

The last batch of RansomWare derived from leaked NSA/CIA spyware tools spread in a day to hundreds of thousands of machines. It takes money to stay on top of every new malware release, to analyze it and release an update to identify, neutralize it fast.

A quick search on google, Bitdefender

If you are concerned that Kasperky is Russian based.

As I mentioned above, my wife worked to develop algorithms to find and suppress tolls, malware, adware, bots at mail.ru/moi.mir and in the process had to trace down suspected links.....some of the most infected sites you could imagine and Kaspersky always protected.

Also, as Shaggy pointed out, you should be using a firewall/router. Such routers though, will only protect you from infected machines probing for new victims. If you click on a link to an infected site, only AV software with up to date virus definitions can protect you.
Kiho said:
Also, as Shaggy pointed out, you should be using a firewall/router. Such routers though, will only protect you from infected machines probing for new victims. If you click on a link to an infected site, only AV software with up to date virus definitions can protect you.
That's why you also get the option to use router level AV on PFSense, so the router inspects packets that are both sent and received before they get to the destiny/your PC, that allows you to build security layers into your network

Also gotta agree, AV software is something not to skimp on
Firefox was already going downhill long before it was scheduled to become trash last November. So 16 months ago I replaced it with Firefox ESR. And 12 months ago I started evaluating alternatives such as Pale Moon which I eventually decided to go with. But I kept putting off migrating everything to Pale Moon and continued to use Firefox ESR as my primary browser.

I recently mentioned that an update to this site's code had crippled a number of my user scripts. But given my recent poor internet connection that would make troubleshooting difficult and my list of higher priorities, I've been putting off looking into it. But while migrating to Pale Moon today, I found that those user scripts still work in Chrome and Pale Moon.

I don't know if the problem is specific to the Firefox ESR release or not. But I don't really want to have anything more to do with Firefox. So I'm currently not planning to look into it...

*Edit
If anyone is having trouble with the Avatar Storage script in Firefox and needs to export the storage without the ability to click on the export link. Here's how to do it:
With just one firefox window open, 2 tabs, both Konachan, Firefox has spawned 6 processes and is using 565Meg of memory, in fact firefox is sucking down 1/3 of the total memory currently being used....and I have VLC player running, Kaspersky AV, Skype, Foxit PDF Reader active, along with several background apps such as for my sports watch updater, printer control panel.....Firefox is now a pig, both for memory and processor resources. I can watch videos with VLC player all day, but bring up the same video in youtube and this old laptop overheats and shuts down.
I'm not surprised. Firefox has been getting worse and worse for years. I was surprised to find that the scripts not working was browser based (and in ESR no less)... But after that, no Firefox problems could surprise me.
I think firefox started to sacrifice memory for speed, which is fine for some people. It's also able to use multiple cores now, apparently. It didn't always use to be like this.
crapposter said:
I think firefox started to sacrifice memory for speed, which is fine for some people. It's also able to use multiple cores now, apparently. It didn't always use to be like this.
Unfortunately firefox did not achieve its "goal". Many videos on youtube, not even full screen, are unplayable on my computer through firefox. If I download them, they play just fine in VLC player. We have fast internet, fast enough to support HD IP TV. The youtube videos play fine on our Server computer which has an Icore 7, 16 Gb of memory, running Ubuntu.at full HDTV resolution. SO it is not internet bandwidth and it is not that my machine cannot play these videos, it is that Firefox just plain squanders memory and processor resources without any benefit. Poor design, poor coding. For all the complaints about flashplayer, It worked, I could play these videos on my machine with flashplayer. Part of the problem is that Firefox is written in Java, not C.
Kiho said:
With just one firefox window open, 2 tabs, both Konachan, Firefox has spawned 6 processes and is using 565Meg of memory, in fact firefox is sucking down 1/3 of the total memory currently being used....and I have VLC player running, Kaspersky AV, Skype, Foxit PDF Reader active, along with several background apps such as for my sports watch updater, printer control panel.....Firefox is now a pig, both for memory and processor resources. I can watch videos with VLC player all day, but bring up the same video in youtube and this old laptop overheats and shuts down.
One firefox window, 6 tabs, each tab use up to 350meg of memory, and like you said video on youtube are either stuttering or lagging.
The last major update really was a bad one.
So this just happened.

What a time to be alive.
anyone ever make gcode in android??

i have stl file i need to make to gcode.
One of my HD is pretty bad, copying file at 2mb per second, it has 39k active hours, I had another of 2011 that had more, in 2017 I had the idea of opening it, after that it never worked again, nice, much stupidity of mine, at least both was 500 gb, I keep it until today, to one day try to recover his files, a few days ago I tried to make it work using sata usb adapter after yt recommended a video talking about it, but it didn't work, at least if it stops working, there's nothing important in it.
mattiasc02 said:
Ayye if ur finding a anti virus software u NEED MalWarebytes. It's the best
it's 2 years ago but, I use Malwarebytes Anti-Ransomware, I don't know if it's good or not, I use it since my computer was infected with a ransonware, the virus name was "Philadelphia" or "Russian Roulette", seconds after the message I turned off the computer, after that I looked in the phone how to remove this virus, was encrypted 2.79 GB file, all encrypted files had the extension "locked", the first file was encrypted at "21:35" and the last "21:41", 6 minutes encrypting my files, was very little compared to the total I have, it was the first time I caught a virus on my computer, I have an idea where I may have downloaded it, after that I took more care, but apart from this Malwarebytes I still don't use antivirus.
For MacOS I use bitdefender and for windows I use windows defender.