This topic is locked.

Konachan.com Sitepack Links
The Konachan sitepacks are a tradition dating back to the Imperial First Era, providing a comprehensive collection of Konachan image posts for downloading as large batches, as a convenience for Kona peasants and travelers from afar.

Originally maintained as an official service by the First Emperor Shuugo, it was later taken over by the Magistrate naikoto as a volunteer project. With the end of the First Era and the migration of the old Imperial elite to unknown lands, the sitepack project lay dormant for some years until in early 2015 the noble Konaite Shaggy heeded the call to arms and took up the mantle of management for this glorious civic service once more.

Currently the sitepacks are updated on a biannual schedule, once at the end/beginning of each year and once around July 1st.

Notes to users:
-Prior to the (as of yet upcoming) 2016 sitepack, the images in each do not necessarily correspond to the nominal "year" of the sitepack in question; for example, the 2015 sitepack contains many images uploaded to Konachan in 2014 as well. This is due to chaos surrounding the transfer of project management - see the third and fourth posts on page 3 of this thread for more information.
-Some images present in the sitepacks may be images that are deleted here on Konachan itself, if the deletion occurred at some point after the original assembly of the sitepack.
-Feel free to post in this thread for any reason related to the sitepacks; questions, suggestions, complaints, statements of gratitude, etc..

further note

Archives are individually compressed meaning you DON'T need all of them to decompress them.

Web
other defunct links

Torrents
Note: The sitepack torrents are no longer supported by Konachan, it is recommended that users download via the above links on the Internet Archive
obsolete torrents
Yay! Thanks Naikoto
wow thanks your the best!!!!!!!!!!!
I love this packs! thanks

I would really appreciate if you could post some packs some time this month for the Posts that came out from December to April. I haven't come to check out the site in a really long time so i know i missed out on a lot of cool posts

Please post more as soon as you can,.

thanks in advanced for all your work.
A rar with all the pictures from the site from a certain period.
terrorskul said:
I would really appreciate if you could post some packs some time this month for the Posts that came out from December to April.
thank you for interest. i've made packs 260..272 (posts 126320..131816) and updated json dump.
thanks much appreciated
multipart downloads on hanyuu mirror are disabled. let me know if you have problems.
(total uploaded 3.5 TB)
i haven't had any trouble so far!

let men know of any new packs please

thank you
can you post more packs for the new stuff plz

thank you in advanced
Would it be better to have some sort of schedule for releasing these packs? You can't ask for a pack after a few weeks/months just like that.... in fact, why do we have a 2012 pack when the year is far from over?

Perhaps every six months the biannual site-pack could be released.

Or maybe, the torrent could be recreated, using the original files and simply adding more to cover the new content? hmm... anyway, I guess it's up to Naikoto to decide how to handle the packs.
If you are not aware, the official pack releases were discontinued this year by Shuugo due to time and resource constraints. The current site packs are a voluntary effort conducted by another site staff member.

Be glad the current site packs even exist anymore. They are a voluntary courtesy, nothing more.
hello from another site staff member XD

actually, packs making process is automated - i need to execute several scripts in right order.
so it may be scheduled to run monthly if there are enough requests.
but i don't see any sense in producing incomplete archives with just tagged images. that's why i don't distribute recent posts.

there is nothing criminal for asking me to do something. hint

dumping in progress...
naikoto, recall Shuugo used to do that pack YEARLY only. That took significantly more effort and time to accomplish compared to smaller, monthly/quarterly release. (I asked Shuugo about that idea and he didn't what to bother with it himself. Wasn't worth time/effort in the long run.) A 25GB (or more) torrent each year wasn't exactly something he liked doing.

If you plan on doing this on a regular basis, please be kind enough to let the users know if you plan to do so according to a schedule of some sort or if updates are on-demand only. This way they'll have an idea of if/when it would be prudent to poke you, if at all.
That took significantly more effort and time to accomplish compared to smaller, monthly/quarterly release
Shuugo did great job by making these packs manually. For me there is no difference if script will work an hour or full day. But i agree, making such a large torrent is boring.

Current plan is to make torrent yearly and update packs on request or every three months.
Also, i'll see if script may be enchanched to be scheduled.

btw, dump has been completed successfully -- packs 273..298
I guess it depends on the demand. When I think about it, a 25GB torrent is HUGE. What do you do with so many images? You'd probably need to go through them and pick the ones you like (either that, or set them all as random wallpapers and just cycle until you find something you like).

Part of me thinks that it'd be more manageable to get smaller torrents, but that's highly dependent on how exactly these torrents are used.

Personally speaking, updating yearly is not an issue... I have SO MANY IMAGES to go through from the 2011 pack, that by the time I am finished, the year 2012 will be done already :B But I guess people asking for more frequent updates have a different way of using the content...?
naikoto said:
Shuugo did great job by making these packs manually. For me there is no difference if script will work an hour or full day. But i agree, making such a large torrent is boring.

Current plan is to make torrent yearly and update packs on request or every three months.
Also, i'll see if script may be enchanched to be scheduled.

thank you Naikoto for the packs, as for my requests i am mearly curious as well as axious about pack releases and i understand that this stuff can be time consuming, that being said I only want to make a suggestion how about you post a tutorial or something like that, on how to make packs; that way others can help with this. I have some free times after work every now and then and if i knew how to do this i would be glad to help make packs.

I am a huge fan of this site and know that others are as well and to have to wait six months for torrents or pack is unbearable let along a year. I think that the way you have been doing the packs upon request or around a period of 3-4 months is the best way to go as far being a user, but as mentioned already that is up to you. As a working student i don't get lots of time to visit this site for an extended amount of time and this packs updating every few months has given me the chance to keep collection this great peaces of art.

thank you for your dedication to making packs as well as for your timely answers to requests
terrorskul said:
...that being said I only want to make a suggestion how about you post a tutorial or something like that, on how to make packs; that way others can help with this....
I am not a mod/admin nor I can't claim to know the finer details of how making these packs work.

However, I can tell you this: if it were possible for any random user to make their own packs, they could easily just download the whole konachan image content without seeing one piece of advertising. I don't think that'd be well received by the maintainers of this site.
SK7000 said:
I am not a mod/admin nor I can't claim to know the finer details of how making these packs work.

However, I can tell you this: if it were possible for any random user to make their own packs, they could easily just download the whole konachan image content without seeing one piece of advertising. I don't think that'd be well received by the maintainers of this site.
that is true, i was only making a suggestion that more people can help do the packs if they knew how. perhaps people that can be trusted
We'd only do that with one or two people. Letting multiple people do that without coordination of any type would just cause multitudes of redundant efforts to create the packs. That'll just create confusion as to which packs to DL and which are the most current. We don't need forks of a project/effort when it involve multi-GB data-sets.

That's also A LOT of bandwidth we can't afford. Bandwidth may be technically cheap, but it's not infinite. Nor is the admin's pockets.

It's fine as-is with a staff member doing it on a voluntary basis. At least this way it's coordinated and easy to maintain.
StahnAileron said:
I understand all of that. and i can see how it would cause problems to create multi packs from different sources with out coordination, anyway just making suggestions, and thanking naikoto for the hard work he has done.

i loved the new pack btw
tutorial or something like that, on how to make packs
mmm. it's very easy, and took about hour to complete, most of which is scripts work. there is no need to help (better to edit tags or donate).

That's also A LOT of bandwidth we can't afford.
and that's the point of making these packs. hanyuu mirror is in the same datacenter, so (afaik) it isn't counted against konachan's quota. traffic of mirror is paid by me and torrents are paid by peers

if it were possible for any random user to make their own packs, they could easily just download the whole konachan
technically, it's possible right now. anybody can get all posts through public interface, but judging from logs, there aren't many people consuming packs.
naikoto said:
technically, it's possible right now. anybody can get all posts through public interface, ...
Actually, I was thinking about that. To have a background script go and fetch every image one by one, and that'd free my time to come participate in the forums and what not. That way I'd still be "brain-washed by the advertisements".

Though, there's something rather nice about actually seeing the images in context and reading the comments. If I ever wrote a script to get the images, I wouldn't bother getting the comments, too xP

So the public API really allowed that? I did read over the document, and I suspected it would only had led me to the post page with the comments and all details.

I wonder, is it against the rules/un-ethical somehow to actually discuss this? O.O;
@naikoto
The bandwidth problem I was referring to to letting normal users doing the packs via the public interface or APIs. They wouldn't normally have access to the backend or even same-datacenter access for inter-server data transfers like you do.

However, it's the duplication of effort and the redundancies that causes I'm most concerned about. (They would compound/contribute to the bandwidth problem on their own anyway.) I'd rather leave the packs solely to you so all the users interested in it have an "official" release they can depend on.

SK7000 said:
I wonder, is it against the rules/un-ethical somehow to actually discuss this? O.O;
No. In theory, this would be an off-shoot of the "Improve" thread discussion, just focusing on mass image distribution. Several people have already announced client-side apps that leverage the Danbooru API, as far as I know. Though some used practices that are unethical or questionable, that seem to be mainly programming faults or API limitations than intentional malice. I'm not familiar with the API itself, however.
@StahnAileron
i understand and that's why i produce packs early :)

@users
In total, if you want a copy of konachan, ask me. And for more technical discussions use our lovely dmail system.
naikoto said:
There appears to be an issue with these packs - they start over at 126320 which was already covered in pack 260 and so it isn't until pack 285 that new content begins.
There appears to be an issue with these packs
LOL, you're right. I forgot about
made packs 260..272 (posts 126320..131816)
let me think how to fix it...

FIXED -- packs 273..285 are recreated.
Sorry, need to be more careful (´・ω・`)
I love the new packs that were recently added as always thank you very much for you hard work and dedication