Movie discussion/ Rate the movie you last saw/ Movie suggestions
[PREVIOUS CONTENT REMOVED]

Non-anime (Western) Movie Discussion Thread

I just watched Taken staring Liam Neeson. Pretty good film actually. Good action and a good plot, I think. It got a high score on imdb rating at 7.9/10.

And damn that's a long list. Like to see many of them but the problem is I rarely see any movies these days xD
My sis would love this, she spent the whole summer watching movies... mostly the newer ones that kinda suck but hey they're still movies o3o I myself haven't seen that many movies, especially compared to you Ryssen. I think I'll make my own movie list using yours though, so I'll have something to do next summer.
ecchifan96 said:
My sis would love this, she spent the whole summer watching movies... mostly the newer ones that kinda suck but hey they're still movies o3o I myself haven't seen that many movies, especially compared to you Ryssen. I think I'll make my own movie list using yours though, so I'll have something to do next summer.
I'll add my top 10 movies of all genres. That would help narrowing it down a bit.

Ask your sister what kind of genres/plots she likes the best. And if she can watch black-white movies. Because the newer movies are...... shit. Some are good. But the majority sucks. Not saying, everyone should only watch black-white movies. But you're missing out on some good ones, if you completely ignore them.

FoliFF said:
I just watched Taken staring Liam Neeson. Pretty good film actually. Good action and a good plot, I think. It got a high score on imdb rating at 7.9/10.
Meh. It was okay. If you liked it then you should watch The Silence of the Lambs and Fargo. Much MUCH better movies. Both of them includs kidnapping.

FoliFF said:
And damn that's a long list. Like to see many of them but the problem is I rarely see any movies these days xD
As I said to (the guy with the Yotsuba avatar), what's your favourite genres? Or certain plots?
Ryssen said:
Ask your sister what kind of genres/plots she likes the best. And if she can watch black-white movies. Because the newer movies are...... shit. Some are good. But the majority sucks. Not saying, everyone should only watch black-white movies. But you're missing out on some good ones, if you completely ignore them.
She likes fantasy and magic the most. You know, Harry Potter, Percy Jackson and others like that. She watches a lot of horror too, I'm not sure if she watches any good ones though (she scares real easy XD) and she seems to like zombies or rather comedies with zombies. Seriously she's watched Zombieland more times than I care to count x_x oh, and she recently got into the Hunger Games, she says the book's better though. I don't know what she thinks of black and white movies but I kinda doubt she'd watch something that old even if it was good. As for me I can try it at least.

I can't say much about my movie preferences since I haven't seen many and it's been a while since I watched one. I love to laugh though and I don't mind low brow stuff either so how about a good comedy?

Ryssen said:
(the guy with the Yotsuba avatar)
It's ecchi o3o
Ryssen said:Dawn of The Dead(2004)
Blasphemy! How dare you put that tripe over the original.

Zombie Movie List

Also, for your mental list, you might want to watch Eraser Head and Combat Shock(Maybe... It's about a guy with post traumatic stress disorder, at least.).
ecchifan96 said:
She likes fantasy and magic the most. You know, Harry Potter, Percy Jackson and others like that. She watches a lot of horror too, I'm not sure if she watches any good ones though (she scares real easy XD) and she seems to like zombies or rather comedies with zombies. Seriously she's watched Zombieland more times than I care to count x_x oh, and she recently got into the Hunger Games, she says the book's better though. I don't know what she thinks of black and white movies but I kinda doubt she'd watch something that old even if it was good. As for me I can try it at least.
Only good Fantasy movie I know is The Green Mile (crime).
Horror
The Shining
The Thing
Alien

That's like the best three horror movies I know. They don't focus much on gore or SURPRISE ATTACK!!!! It's more psychological and claustrophobia. I would recommend watching The Thing first. Because it got the plot that's easiest to understand. Stanley Kubrick made The Shining. If you know who that (god) is then, you know what about I'm taking about. He's like Shaft, they both have their own genres.

ecchifan96 said:I can't say much about my movie preferences since I haven't seen many and it's been a while since I watched one. I love to laugh though and I don't mind low brow stuff either so how about a good comedy?
Hmmm. Have you watched Monty Python and the Holy Grail, Snatch. (That dot is not a typo, just throwing that out there.), Forrest Gump or Groundhog day?

Cade said:
Blasphemy! How dare you put that tripe over the original.
Sorry about that. I haven't updated the list. I have had it for some time now. But you're right the original is way better. But the remake had it moments. It's not as bad as the american Godzilla at least.

Cade said:
Zombie Movie List

Also, for your mental list, you might want to watch Eraser Head and Combat Shock(Maybe... It's about a guy with post traumatic stress disorder, at least.).
Quite a list you have there. I'll add them together with the other horror movies right a way..... No wait. I'll make a separate tag for Zombies.

Right. My list of "movies you have to watch NAO" is pretty big. I goal is to clear the entire Top 250 list and most of the movies in the book "1001 Movies you have to watch before you die".
I fucking HATED Eraser Head. HATED IT. Hated...it. And I never understood what the fuck happened in The Shining. I liked the movie very much, I just didn't get it. Hated 2001, but I did like One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest. I cried at the end. I like Dr. Strangelove too (since I LOVE Peter Sellers), but I love Lolita much, much more. All of you should watch Lolita. Stanley Kubrick directed it too.

My favorite movie of all time, the movie that I love more than any other, is Willy Wonka and the Chocolate Factory. The good one, with Gene Wilder. I frickin' love that movie. I like older movies best. They don't make good movies anymore. I really like Mel Brooks' movies. He's so funny.

P.S. I've always wanted to start a thread like this. Good job Ryssen.
Ryssen said:
Hmmm. Have you watched Monty Python and the Holy Grail, Snatch. (That dot is not a typo, just throwing that out there.), Forrest Gump or Groundhog day?
No, no, no, no and.... what? I'm just kidding, I've at least heard of groundhog Day (I'm not that hopeless) I was planning to watch Snatch. next saturday when I re-watch Baccano! so I guess that's where I'll start with movies. By the way, do you have any idea where I could find Snatch. online? -3-'

It's been a while since we've had a really good thread like this, thanks Ryssen.
Yeah... I probably should have mentioned this in my first post, but most of those on my list are really bad and not worth watching unless you're a fan of cheesy, low-budget movies.
I like Life of Brian better.
otaku_emmy said:
I fucking HATED Eraser Head. HATED IT. Hated...it. And I never understood what the fuck happened in The Shining. I liked the movie very much, I just didn't get it. Hated 2001, but I did like One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest. I cried at the end.

My favorite movie of all time, the movie that I love more than any other, is Willy Wonka and the Chocolate Factory. The good one, with Gene Wilder. I frickin' love that movie. I like older movies best. They don't make good movies anymore. I really like Mel Brooks' movies. He's so funny.

P.S. I've always wanted to start a thread like this. Good job Ryssen.
I don't think anybody understands Kubrick completely. And that's the point. And 2001 was awesome. I don't know about you guys, but I never thought of the idea that my computer would try to kill me.

otaku_emmy said:
I like older movies best. They don't make good movies anymore.
Shut the fuck up. Watch Inception, The King's Speech and The Artist. Come back and discuss.

No seriously watch those movies. But yea, most of the older movies are better. But that doesn't mean you should ignore the newer ones.

ecchifan96 said:
No, no, no, no and.... what? I'm just kidding, I've at least heard of groundhog Day (I'm not that hopeless) I was planning to watch Snatch. next saturday when I re-watch Baccano! so I guess that's where I'll start with movies. By the way, do you have any idea where I could find Snatch. online? -3-'

It's been a while since we've had a really good thread like this, thanks Ryssen.
http://thepiratebay.se/torrent/6284812/Snatch.2000.BRRip.XviD.AC3-VLiS

And while you're at it. Try watching Fight Club as well. BEST FUCKING MOVIE EVAR.

And thanks ^_^

otaku_emmy said:
I like Life of Brian better.
Haven't watch that one yet. I know, I should.

Edit* It's a pain trying to write and play bf3 at the same time.....
Ryssen said:
It's a pain trying to write and play bf3 at the same time.....
I'm watching anime and posting at the same time... it took me nearly an hour to watch this one episode of One Piece because I was busy typing so I feel your pain -__-' I think I'm gonna leave for a bit, it's for the best...

And so this post isn't too off-topic: who here has seen Titanic?
ecchifan96 said:
And so this post isn't too off-topic: who here has seen Titanic?
It's a movie, so it isn't off topic. I have. It's okay. Not the best romance ever.

I hear they're doing a sequel too. Fucking fantastic.
I've seen it. I don't like romantic movies. I hate romance in general. I love the Celine Dion song though. I like funny movies, dramas, and old horror/scary films, in terms of Western cinema.

And I don't like being told to shut the fuck up either XP. I just think movies were a little better back in the day. I didn't say ALL modern movies are complete horse shit. I don't watch newer movies cuz I don't get to go to the movie theater, so I watch a lot of Turner Classic Movies (TCM) and stuff like that.
otaku_emmy said:
I've seen it. I don't like romantic movies. I hate romance in general. I like funny movies, dramas, and old horror/scary films, in terms of Western cinema.
Have you watched The Apartment? From 1960. Or Casablanca? They're the only romance movies I like.

Anyone waiting on The Great Gatsby? The trailer looks promising.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rARN6agiW7o
otaku_emmy said:
And I don't like being told to shut the fuck up either XP
Huh? *checks older posts* Oh... Ryssen you're not allowed to curse at people here, it's an actual rule if memory serves.
Those come on a lot on TCM. They seem like they'd make me sleepy though. I just don't get into them. I need drama and sadness and fear.

Silent films make me sleepy. I watched a very old, very long silent Japanese film once. I didn't understand what was happening, and it made me very drowsy.
ecchifan96 said:
Huh? *checks older posts* Oh... Ryssen you're not allowed to curse at people here, it's an actual rule if memory serves.
What O_o?

I can say fuck, bitch etc, right? As long as i don't say it to somebody.

And I'm sure Emmy knows that I meant no harm.

otaku_emmy said:
Silent films make me sleepy. I watched a very old, very long silent Japanese film once. I didn't understand what was happening, and it made me very drowsy.
Obviously you haven't watch any Chaplin movie yet.
Ryssen said:
I can say fuck, bitch etc, right? As long as i don't say it to somebody.
Yeah that's fine, people here curse like that as much as they like, but you can't insult others.

In the end I couldn't leave this place TwT posts are coming in a lot faster now.
otaku_emmy said:
. I like older movies best. They don't make good movies anymore.
^ This

Movies pretty much died in the late 80's for me. Or more specificly, horror movies. You never see stuff like A Taste of Blood or The Giant Claw these days. The closest you get are ScyFy original movies, and most of those are garbage and lack the charm that old-school b-movies had.
And if there's one thing I can't fucking stand, it's modern movies that try to be like 70's exploitation films. Shit like Grindhouse and Machete. Although, I have to give credit to Black Dynamite. It was a pretty good blaxploitation parody.
Cade said:
^ This

Movies pretty much died in the late 80's for me. Or more specificly, horror movies. You never see stuff like A Taste of Blood or The Giant Claw these days. The closest you get are ScyFy original movies, and most of those are garbage and lack the charm that old-school b-movies had.
And if there's one thing I can't fucking stand, it's modern movies that try to be like 70's exploitation films. Shit like Grindhouse and Machete. Although, I have to give credit to Black Dynamite. It was a pretty good blaxploitation parody.
I don't think i'm following ya. Are you talking about movies like Reservoir Dogs and Pulp Fiction? Or movies like The Thing?
Ryssen said:
Meh. It was okay. If you liked it then you should watch The Silence of the Lambs and Fargo. Much MUCH better movies. Both of them includs kidnapping.
I have watched Silence of the Lambs years ago though I have no memory of it anymore except some scenes. Haven't seen Fargo though and probably will not xD

Ryssen said:
As I said to (the guy with the Yotsuba avatar), what's your favourite genres? Or certain plots?
When it comes to movies I'm pretty much open to anything as long it intrigues me. I'm more leaning against action, sci-fi, fantasy and similar.
However while I'm okay with popcorn movies I'll like the movie much more if it has a decent story like Inception and this upcoming movie Cloud Atlas. Cloud Atlas could be a piece of shit movie for all I care, but the trailer done a fantastic job of making want to see it. I still have no idea what the movie will be. Which many other trailers fails to do.

I also like family movies like Shrek 1 & Ice Age 1. I can watch drama but then it has to be very very VERY good drama. Otherwise it will bore the hell out of me.

Also for someone who want to watch some new movies this montage may help you: Best New Movie Trailers
FoliFF said:
I have watched Silence of the Lambs years ago though I have no memory of it anymore except some scenes. Haven't seen Fargo though and probably will not xD
Why? It's an excellent movie from the coen brothers.

FoliFF said:
I also like family movies like Shrek 1 & Ice Age 1.
Studio Ghibli makes the best family movies. If you haven't heard of them then SHAME ON YOU!!

FoliFF said:
I can watch drama but then it has to be very very VERY good drama. Otherwise it will bore the hell out of me.
Best drama movies are 12 Angry Men (1957), Fight Club, American Beauty, One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest, The Shawshank Redemption, Will Hunting, Gran Torino, Amadeus, There will be blood, City Lights, Mr. Smith Goes To Washington, The Truman Show, Hotel Rwanda, The Elephant Man, Walk the Line and Mississippi Burning. I recommend watching Fight Club, One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest, The Shawshank Redemption, City Lights and Gran Torino first, because they are the best.

FoliFF said:
Also for someone who want to watch some new movies this montage may help you: Best New Movie Trailers
Internet is too slow.
I like the editing and the music. Gotta love Greig.

Saw Eastwood. Sold. His last movies have been pure gold. I'm excepting a lot from this.

And for the record, I started watching movies "hardcore" 1 and a half years ago.
Everything started with Scarface on new years eve. At the time I had maybe watched 15 movies in the Top 250. Now i'm 130 movies in.
Thanks for the recommendations. I'll check it out whenever I feel like to watch some movies.

Speaking of scarface, I wonder how many times my friends have recommended it to me and said I must watch it along with pulp fiction. Yet I haven't seen either of the movies xD

Ryssen said:
Why? It's an excellent movie from the coen brothers.
Doesn't matter, not interested. Another thing I have almost zero knowledge when it comes to directors. I only know a few famous directors. And by that I only know they have done the movie I have watched. Not the movies they have made over the years.

Studio Ghibli makes the best family movies. If you haven't heard of them then SHAME ON YOU!!
Already seen them all except from the very first ones. And they sure are old and kinda hard to find with a decent quality.
FoliFF said:
And they sure are old and kinda hard to find with a decent quality.
I spy with my little eye a lot of 1080p torrents on TBP.

FoliFF said:
Doesn't matter, not interested. Another thing I have almost zero knowledge when it comes to directors. I only know a few famous directors. And by that I only know they have done the movie I have watched. Not the movies they have made over the years.
Suit yourself. But I will promise you every single movie in the second (my personal) list. Are good in it's own way.

For the record.
The Coen Brothers made movies like The Big Lebowski, True Grit (2010) and No Country For Old Men. I'm sure you've heard of them.
Heard of the movies not seen any of them. Well except for True Grit. I have seen parts of it or the whole movie, don't remember.

And I believe you when you say the movies are good since you are into movies. The only problem is that for me personally have the urge to begin watch some movies in the first place.

Well you could say blame anime (and my limited free-time now) that took it place and got me hooked instead of live-action movies. Unlike my little brother which is a movie freak but not into anime.
FoliFF said:
Heard of the movies not seen any of them. Well except for True Grit. I have seen parts of it or the whole movie, don't remember.

And I believe you when you say the movies are good since you are into movies. The only problem is that for me personally have the urge to begin watch some movies in the first place.

Well you could say blame anime (and my limited free-time now) that took it place and got me hooked instead of live-action movies. Unlike my little brother which is a movie freak but not into anime.
You should at least download one movie. Have it on your HDD until you're bored. Then watch it. Sometimes when i have too much to do. Then it's good just leaning back and watch a movie.

I'm you and your brother together. I'm into movies and anime. Sometimes more into movies and sometimes more into anime.

You should show him my list if he's a movie freak. It's always good to get some critic from a fellow movie fan. And also have he watched the Studio Ghibli movies? That might get him into anime. Since they are so fucking good.
Haha that's what I have been doing Ryssen download movies and have them on my HDD but it takes months if not years before I watch them xD

Sadly we don't get along very well with each other. You could say we respect each other spaces and don't disturb each other. In fact I have little knowledge of his interest these days since we don't see each other that much.
Sorry to disappoint you. He won't be much of a help of criticism.

My brother have seen some animes and movies so he know what it but generally speaking he have no interest in anime.

He's probably watching some anime i don't know of behind my back ^^
I've seen one Chaplin movie, The Great Dictator, which was actually a talkie (yeah, a talkie). He was pardoying Hitler when Hitler was still in power. It's funny, and really makes you reflect.
otaku_emmy said:
I've seen one Chaplin movie, The Great Dictator, which was actually a talkie (yeah, a talkie). He was pardoying Hitler when Hitler was still in power. It's funny, and really makes you reflect.
I'm going to watch that one next friday with some friends on Skype. Out of all his most famous movies I have yet to watch The Great Dictator and Modern Times.

Strongly recommend City Lights and The Gold Rush.

Too bad FoliFF. It feels weird saying that username.......