StahnAileron said:
... Also, you have to remember, XP came our in 2001. Back then, breaking the 4GB-barrier was unheard of. Most systems maxed out at 2GB back then. ...
But still, Microsofts plans back then were to develop Codename Whistler as Workstation and Server in one go (as they did on all Versions of Windows NT before including Win2000). In the end they decided to further develop Server 2003 for a little longer but the Workstation part was ready for the wild. And still, WinXP was shipped with a PAE ready kernel (also Win2000 was), on my system it uses the PAE kernel (no clue, how managed to accomplish that) and even without PAE 32bit CPUs are able to address and thus use 4GB of RAM. Have a look at the more recent Win 7. Its 32bit version also restricts the user to 3GB of usable memory. I just don't understand why. Even Windows 2000 Advanced Server (remember, there never was a x64 version of Win2000) supports up to 8GB RAM. For stuff like this I hate capitalistic oriented companies. And sadly XP x64 isn't an option for me, since I would have to get the german MUI from somewhere (sources welcome at this point!) and also I'd have to drop my SoundBlaster Live! 5.1 Digital, since there're no x64 drivers out there for my baby.