mattiasc02 said:
desalinate water and then turn it into ice for the arctic
To what end? Why would you want to do that?
To sustain the arctic nice and frozen. CO2 emissions would have to be down tho or the arctic would melt allover again.
... Adding ice is supposed to help "Sustain" the arctic? You're confused.

Let's say you add 1000 tons of ice to an arctic glacier. That will increase the weight of the glacier causing it to sink enough to displace 1000 tons of seawater. This exposes the glacier to warmer waters further down causing it to melt faster.

If you're going to say it wont melt anymore because of reduced CO2 emissions, then you're still misunderstanding something. There's no need to waste energy and effort manually adding ice to the arctic. Just let it refreeze naturally.
Oh yeah… it can just refreeze itself. Hopefully that day comes.
I, for one, have embraced the fact that we're probably fucked.
We just need to switch to electric amap (as much as possible). I already saw a commercial saying that cadilac cars are switching to all electric.

...yo. What if we all met up one day? Like I know not all of us talk as much in the forums but wai not. And is David still alive? :( I really like himmm
But electric cars aren't 100% clean or ethical either, iirc. Just like wind turbines.

There are no real solutions. There are ideas, sure, but there are also 7.9 billion people on this planet. You're not going to get everyone on the same page.
wait why aren't electric cars not 100% green? Are they less green than fossil fuels?
Well, iirc, at least 40% of the electricity we use comes from burning fossil fuels.
mattiasc02 said:
wait why aren't electric cars not 100% green? Are they less green than fossil fuels?
Zolxys said:
Well, iirc, at least 40% of the electricity we use comes from burning fossil fuels.
^^

Plus cobalt mining (cobalt is needed for the lithium ion batteries) tends to be pretty unethical and dangerous. From what I've heard.
otaku_emmy said:
Plus cobalt mining (cobalt is needed for the lithium ion batteries) tends to be pretty unethical and dangerous. From what I've heard.
No more unethical or dangerous than fossil fuel extraction and refinement. With internal combustion engines there's also the problem of localized air pollution which China has been doing some studies on the dangers of. Air pollution may be responsible for 30% of infant mortality and cause significant congnitive decline in adults.

In terms of reducing and reversing the carbon we're putting into the atmosphere I recommend Bill Gates's latest book "How to Avoid a Climate Disaster".

Something else that I don't think is talked about enough with electric cars is efficiencies. Even if you're getting your electricity from burning fossil fuels the power plant is operating much more efficiently then the ICE in a car.
My point wasn't to...talk down electric cars necessarily, just point out there's no perfect solution applicable to all peoples.

I've been talking to Yuri about this exact thing lately, as a matter of fact. Intent vs. action. My take on it probably comes across as pretty pessimistic, but it's not meant to be a downer.
Go nuclear or go home!
mattiasc02 said:
Serious question, I wonder if scientists can desalinate water and then turn it into ice for the arctic, esp once yearly Co2 emissions become stable for the environment.
mattiasc is a textbook example as to why people try eugenics when they get power.
It was just a genuine question you piece of shit. I don’t get angry/hurt easily but why were the others acting more civil than you in responding to me? Now I’m all unruly. Bye.

Edit: and if it wasn’t for my dumb question, I would’ve never learned some interesting stuff.
Hey now. As a mod I gotta tell everybody, but especially Matti, to cool it. We can't be going at each other in this peaceful, sacred place.
It's baffling to me how we're still calling it "Black Friday" when the sales are literally all fucking month long.
The same reason we call Christmas, Christmas, and not "Buy all this shit that is promotional for this period of the year!"

Aka because of consumerism.
Christmas for JESUS! Holidays FOR EVERYONE! Everyone can do Christmas or not! But just call a month and a half long sale a "HOLIDAY SALE" or "WINTER SALES EVENT"! BLACK FRIDAY REPRESENT SINGLE DAY! NOT LOGICAL!
It's not about logic. It's about money. They make more by making it a longer sale. They also make more by calling it a Black Friday sale, rather than something random.

*Edit: Though you could say it's the logical choice for a business.
It's the ONLY choice for any business.

Except Best Secret. They have % off every few days on different items.
I'm all for sales. I got what is allegedly a $760 Chromebook for ~$520. I get that people are shopping early too cuz of supply chain bullshit and chip shortages or whatever. A "Holiday Sales Event" isn't really a "random" naming convention, imo.

My brain just doesn't like referring to an extended period of time as single day. XD

EDIT: Just saw that Walmart is using the phrase "BLACK FRIDAY DEALS FOR DAYS" in their advertising, and that is a perfectly acceptable compromise to me.
otaku_emmy said:
A "Holiday Sales Event" isn't really a "random" naming convention, imo.
If not "random" then at least far more generic.

Many places have Christmas/Holiday sales during the holiday season, but people don't go as crazy for those as they do for "Black Friday". Even though the reason for it's popularity has a lot to do with when it takes place, the name has gained a special meaning to many people. They'll react differently to that than they would to just another "Holiday Sales Event".
I don't even like the whole "Black Friday" phenomenon. Especially considering how fucking insane people have gotten recently. People shouldn't be dying over material things (or concerts), stampeding like animals or getting stabbed.
We don't have "black friday" here.
I'm glad we don't. Seems really dangerous to me.
I feel like things like that are only dangerous because people don't know how to act.
Consumerism at its finest.
Does anyone else here like Joe Pera?
I just read that William Shatner is a fan of Death Grips, and I'm losing my mind over it.
Never told y'all wife gave birth last month. Got us a perfect lil girl.