[Release] Konachan Viewer v0.3
Greetings Konachan community!

I'm fairly new to konachan.com but I've taken a liking to it. Browsing the thousands of posts is fun, but I thought to myself, instead of browsing, being able to sit back and enjoy a slideshow would be quite nice.
That's why I wrote the Konachan Viewer which creates desktop background slideshows out of konachan.com content. You can filter the images you want to display with tags, favorite images you like (save them to your pc) or ban images you don't like (they won't show again)
It's easily controllable over shortcuts, a menu and a little config window.

Demonstration: http://youtu.be/Hxp7TwlvCPY
Help image: http://i.imgur.com/bEPQvBp.png
Download: https://www.dropbox.com/s/4deqqwa9f6ax6si/Konachan.zip
Virus Total Analysis ('cause why not): https://www.virustotal.com/en/file/9263c5e02c6dc0c410355df4179ab5e59ff4877c9607825a297386f090b8c2e0/analysis/1405693145/

The program isn't complete yet, so I would like to hear your feedback :)

If you have questions or problems feel free to ask here or write me an email: [email protected]
-> ecchi images pops up in the background
Quietly whispers and skips to the next image. Kekeke.

I guess some people find this useful. I'm gonna pass since I don't really use anime related wallpapers.
A very interesting concept. I'll check it out later today (I'm about to head out at the moment).

I do have one suggestion before then though: to include layouts for the Favorites and Bans tabs in the Config window on your help image too.

Edit: One more thing... You named the YouTube video "Kanachan Viewer" instead of "Konachan Viewer"... >.<
Is there a problem with Konata's mother, Kanata?
Is there? *brings out the ass eliminator*
Having it on 1 min default is pretty harsh on b/w if people actually start using this, that's 1440 wallpapers per 24h.

I suggest the tag landscape for awesome wallpapers ;o
minabiStrikesAgain said:
A very interesting concept. I'll check it out later today (I'm about to head out at the moment).

I do have one suggestion before then though: to include layouts for the Favorites and Bans tabs in the Config window on your help image too.

Edit: One more thing... You named the YouTube video "Kanachan Viewer" instead of "Konachan Viewer"... >.<
1. Will do
2. Oh, I did correct it, but youtube forgot to save it :(

slayerduck said:
Having it on 1 min default is pretty harsh on b/w if people actually start using this, that's 1440 wallpapers per 24h.
Last time I checked, people weren't staring 24/7 at their wallpaper :)
And after all konachan has 149835 posts, that would be enough for 104 days straight
JINXOS said:
slayerduck said:
Last time I checked, people weren't staring 24/7 at their wallpaper :)
That's irrelevant. I just confirmed that the program will still change the wallpaper even if the desktop isn't visible. Do you really expect people to pause the thing every time they cover up the desktop?
Zolxys said:
That's irrelevant. I just confirmed that the program will still change the wallpaper even if the desktop isn't visible. Do you really expect people to pause the thing every time they cover up the desktop?
The program is getting its images randomly (over http://konachan.com/post?tags=order%3Arandom ), meaning that you won't miss anything if you don't look at them for a while (also meaning that the same image might pop up twice in a row)
You're missing the point. We're talking about the bandwidth load on the website.
ah right, sorry :)
it should be fine though. 1 500KB image every minute. Normally browsing the posts would be 40KB per request, opening a post is >1MB
JINXOS said:
ah right, sorry :)
it should be fine though. 1 500KB image every minute. Normally browsing the posts would be 40KB per request, opening a post is >1MB
you don't browse a site 24/7
The discussion is going into the wrong direction, let's just leave it at: If it's too much for the server I will take it down/revisit it :)
Great ! you should improve it more. idk how, but there is always something better (?)

anyway, downloading.
I did download and try to install it, but it gave me some error about missing a specific version of .NET Framework... version 4.0.30319. I haven't gotten around to troubleshooting that yet.
minabiStrikesAgain said:
I did download and try to install it, but it gave me some error about missing a specific version of .NET Framework... version 4.0.30319. I haven't gotten around to troubleshooting that yet.
I guess you don't have .NET Framework 4.0 installed. You can download it from the microsoft page http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=17851
OMG, now i dont even have to set the wallpapers, thats so good :D (jokes aside, its awesome)
The settings in the Configuration menu don't save when the application is closed.
I keep unchecking Questionable pics, and deleting the one Favorite that's in there.
Always resets once the application is closed and relaunched for me.

Otherwise, awesome tool to keep my wallpaper fresh.
I used to download the huge-ass archive torrents, and put the images in a rotator.
This is a much better solution.

EDIT: And, disregard that. I wasn't hitting the "Save Preset" button. XD
Fantastic application.

EDIT EDIT: Okay, a real suggestion this time.
The rotator I mentioned previously did have a useful feature that would be cool here.
It had options for algorithms for image upscaling and downscaling, such as Bicubic, Catmull-Rom, and Lanczos.
My desktop resolution is 2880x1620, so most images get stretched way out, and become very blurry.
lilmetal said:
The rotator I mentioned previously did have a useful feature that would be cool here.
It had options for algorithms for image upscaling and downscaling, such as Bicubic, Catmull-Rom, and Lanczos.
My desktop resolution is 2880x1620, so most images get stretched way out, and become very blurry.
Well the upscaling / downscaling is done by Windows. But sure when I've got some free time I'll add a few more things
Doesn't seem like the Banned Tags list is working at all for me.
What I tried was turning on only Explicit images, and banning the tag "censored".
This would still return images that contained the "censored" tag.
As a control, I tried the "uncensored" tag in the Required Tags list, and that worked fine.
Well the banned tags list is a placeholder until the konachan.com devs enable the blacklist :)
Just wanted to chime in again that I'm still using this app, and it's still great. XD
Very nice tool, used it over the day :3

Found some bugs/missing features:

- Change picture every 10 sec:
It doesn't work. It switches the picture every 2-15 seconds at random, sometimes only 1 second. I don't have any tags activated or something.

- Random bug appeared (Only have it in german, sry):
Microsoft .NET Framework

Informationen über das Aufrufen von JIT-Debuggen
anstelle dieses Dialogfelds finden Sie am Ende dieser Meldung.

• Ausnahmetext **************
System.ComponentModel.Win32Exception (0x80004005): Der Vorgang wurde erfolgreich beendet
bei Konachan.MainWindow.SetDesktopImage(String file)
bei Konachan.MainWindow.NextImage()
bei Konachan.MainWindow.timer1_Tick(Object sender, EventArgs e)
bei System.Windows.Forms.Timer.OnTick(EventArgs e)
bei System.Windows.Forms.Timer.TimerNativeWindow.WndProc(Message& m)
bei System.Windows.Forms.NativeWindow.Callback(IntPtr hWnd, Int32 msg, IntPtr wparam, IntPtr lparam)

• Geladene Assemblys **************
mscorlib
Assembly-Version: 4.0.0.0.
Win32-Version: 4.0.30319.18444 built by: FX451RTMGDR.
CodeBase: file:///C:/Windows/Microsoft.NET/Framework/v4.0.30319/mscorlib.dll.
----------------------------------------
Konachan
Assembly-Version: 1.0.0.0.
Win32-Version: 1.0.0.0.
CodeBase: file:///D:/Downloads/Konachan/Konachan.exe.
System.Windows.Forms
Win32-Version: 4.0.30319.34251 built by: FX452RTMGDR.
CodeBase: file:///C:/Windows/Microsoft.Net/assembly/GAC_MSIL/System.Windows.Forms/v4.0_4.0.0.0__b77a5c561934e089/System.Windows.Forms.dll.
System.Drawing
Win32-Version: 4.0.30319.18408 built by: FX451RTMGREL.
CodeBase: file:///C:/Windows/Microsoft.Net/assembly/GAC_MSIL/System.Drawing/v4.0_4.0.0.0__b03f5f7f11d50a3a/System.Drawing.dll.
System
Win32-Version: 4.0.30319.34238 built by: FX452RTMGDR.
CodeBase: file:///C:/Windows/Microsoft.Net/assembly/GAC_MSIL/System/v4.0_4.0.0.0__b77a5c561934e089/System.dll.
System.Configuration
CodeBase: file:///C:/Windows/Microsoft.Net/assembly/GAC_MSIL/System.Configuration/v4.0_4.0.0.0__b03f5f7f11d50a3a/System.Configuration.dll.
System.Xml
Win32-Version: 4.0.30319.34234 built by: FX452RTMGDR.
CodeBase: file:///C:/Windows/Microsoft.Net/assembly/GAC_MSIL/System.Xml/v4.0_4.0.0.0__b77a5c561934e089/System.Xml.dll.
System.Core
CodeBase: file:///C:/Windows/Microsoft.Net/assembly/GAC_MSIL/System.Core/v4.0_4.0.0.0__b77a5c561934e089/System.Core.dll.
Microsoft.GeneratedCode
Assembly-Version: 1.0.0.0.
Win32-Version: 4.0.30319.34234 built by: FX452RTMGDR.
CodeBase: file:///C:/Windows/Microsoft.Net/assembly/GAC_MSIL/System.Xml/v4.0_4.0.0.0__b77a5c561934e089/System.Xml.dll.
HtmlAgilityPack
Assembly-Version: 1.4.6.0.
Win32-Version: 1.4.6.0.
CodeBase: file:///D:/Downloads/Konachan/HtmlAgilityPack.DLL.
System.Web
Win32-Version: 4.0.30319.34249 built by: FX452RTMGDR.
CodeBase: file:///C:/Windows/Microsoft.Net/assembly/GAC_32/System.Web/v4.0_4.0.0.0__b03f5f7f11d50a3a/System.Web.dll.
System.Data
CodeBase: file:///C:/Windows/Microsoft.Net/assembly/GAC_32/System.Data/v4.0_4.0.0.0__b77a5c561934e089/System.Data.dll.
mscorlib.resources
CodeBase: file:///C:/Windows/Microsoft.Net/assembly/GAC_MSIL/mscorlib.resources/v4.0_4.0.0.0_de_b77a5c561934e089/mscorlib.resources.dll.
System.resources
CodeBase: file:///C:/Windows/Microsoft.Net/assembly/GAC_MSIL/System.resources/v4.0_4.0.0.0_de_b77a5c561934e089/System.resources.dll.
System.Windows.Forms.resources
CodeBase: file:///C:/Windows/Microsoft.Net/assembly/GAC_MSIL/System.Windows.Forms.resources/v4.0_4.0.0.0_de_b77a5c561934e089/System.Windows.Forms.resources.dll.

- Tags that don't work:
It seems that only showing someones favorites like this works: "vote:3:tangofox4". But "width:2560" does not work. I use a 21:9 monitor and would like to only show pictures in that ratio. It would be nice if there would be some ratio-feature or a selectable resolution.

- Favourites not bound to account.
You could add some login, so that pictures you fav are addes to your favs as well.

I hope this app is still developed and I could help a little. It has huge potential :O
I would love to see this working with sankakucomplex, gelbooru and other boards, would even pay for something like that :D
Doesn't seem to work on Windows 10 sadly. Makes sense since the program is 3 years old, so is the coding.