Sometimes it's a good idea, sometimes it's not. Like Zolxys mentioned, some images use letterbox with elements of the main image overlapping on to it. In this case, you'd be cropping at the main image.

See, as things stand now, we don't require the cropped tag for the removal of letterbox (which, God help me, I still have't fixed all the wrongly tagged posts).

There are also times when removing the letterbox will render the image below our required resolution. In such cases, the images could potentially be ruined by needing upscaling.

It's not as black and white, to me, as letterbox = cut it off.
otaku_emmy said:
Sometimes it's a good idea, sometimes it's not. Like Zolxys mentioned, some images use letterbox with elements of the main image overlapping on to it. In this case, you'd be cropping at the main image.
Oh yeah that's true

There are also times when removing the letterbox will render the image below our required resolution. In such cases, the images could potentially be ruined by needing upscaling.
Everytime I see those images, I always crop and resize (unless, of course, it reallly looks bad)

It's not as black and white, to me, as letterbox = cut it off.
For me, it's just that the artist did it, so whatevs.

But I'll start cropping every letterboxed post from now on. You can really replace mine with this now.
How about these borders? They're not your... traditional borders. I was thinking I can upload it the way it is, but perhaps I can also brighten them using GIMP
mattiasc02 said:
How about these borders? They're not your... traditional borders. I was thinking I can upload it the way it is, but perhaps I can also brighten them using GIMP
I'd crop it. It adds nothing.

But, in this case, you'd need to add the cropped tag.
Depends on how well you edit. If you edit the borders such that they seamlessly integrate into the background, then it's better. If you can't then just cut them off, because they are not all too important in this particular case. If your brightening will look weird then it's no use.
I'd leave them. The image is currently 16:9. So on nearly any desktop, cropping them would effectively just replace them with solid black letterboxing. I'd say this is still better than that.
Egg on my face for not checking the actual dimensions.

(Also, I still hate how Mattias doesn't start with any of the sources of the images when he uploads.)
Zolxys said:
... would effectively just replace them with solid black letterboxing.
Going off-tangent, I'm pretty sure most users would scale their bg, since that is what an Os like windows does by default. Doing good edit would be much more preferable, i might actually be up to do it, if fellah matt provides us original source.
Yes, if a perfect edit could be achieved, that would be preferable.

kyxor said:
I'm pretty sure most users would scale their bg, since that is what an Os like windows does by default.
Either you misunderstood me or I'm completely missing your point.
Zolxys said:
So on nearly any desktop ...
Point is that not everyone will use the letterbox bg. See the difference? scale vs letterbox. Since the crop was not too bad, I am actually perfectly fine to stretch the pic a little bit and use it this way. That goes to say if we are debating weather to crop the darkened borders or not, you can't just say that just black is worse than the original borders and crop is unnecessary. Because if you reealy don't want to see the original borders, crop wins. Anyway, I am making it way too complicated, I am struggling to get my head around this myself. So just fix the original cause this looks the nicest.
I’ll upload… in a bit. Me and my parents are driving back from somewhere really far away (it was to get my ID)

And honestly I WILL try to photoshop it, but if it still doesn’t look good, I’ll upload it with the borders, since it IS a transparenty border, not a BLACK border (right? So you don’t mind if the border is transparent but do if it’s black?)

And taking about my computer specifically, it is 16:10 and it auto crops any image you add to the background.

And wow, you’re cropping program is very rustic loool. In my computer I have a built-in free form cropper, so it doesn’t have to do any like, hard commands. Just drag your frame however you like, where you like, and crop. It’s super cool since you can zoom 400% and crop even the tiniest lines that With most programs would be harder to do.

Edit; and abooout my auto crop in my computer, like for example with that bordered image, it would crop the sides so it can be 16:10, but not the borders on the bottom, since those border are technically part of the image.
kyxor said:
stretch the pic a little bit
---
like windows does by default.
Although Windows has done some stupid stuff in the past, they have never had their "default" wallpaper mode be one that doesn't maintain the aspect ratio. They have always had that mode as an option though.

Anyway, while there are people that actually don't mind using a wallpaper with a skewed AR, that's hardly something to consider when uploading here (for much the same reason we don't allow images with a skewed AR here; See Image Quality Evaluation section 14).

You can't hope to upload a single image to cater to all users with all desktop sizes using all wallpaper modes including Fit", "Fill and crop", "Stretch", etc. No matter what you upload, some users will inevitably see fit to crop it to their needs or find it unsuitable or not worth their time to fix.

For the most part, we only consider the "Fit" mode. "Fill and crop" varies too much by resolution. We would need to have a few versions of most wallpapers to cater specifically to that.
Umm... this or this?

I personally like cropped one tbh (yes I ain't photoshopping that I'm too lazy if someone else wants to they certainly should haha)

But... what do you guys as moderators think?
NSFW
They're the same person.
But are they loli?
To me they don't look it. They have small boobs, but they don't really look like kids.

However, like you said, they are using that tag for a reason. Unfortunately she doesn't have much of a description on VNDB.
So should I upload it then?
Uhm. I guess that'd be up to you. Just don't go crazy with all the different variations. We frown on that kind of stuff these days.

You even said one didn't look like a loli, and given that they're the same person that should speak for itself.

Unless someone can prove they're children or childlike within the game then it shouldn't be a problem.
otaku_emmy said:
Uhm. I guess that'd be up to you. Just don't go crazy with all the different variations. We frown on that kind of stuff these days.

You even said one didn't look like a loli, and given that they're the same person that should speak for itself.

Unless someone can prove they're children or childlike within the game then it shouldn't be a problem.
Ok then. I just assumed that they were different because for some odd reason the pic of her rubbing while looking at the screen looked... REAL loli, while the one where she is riding looks less loli in my eyes. But iono it's how they were drawn I guess.

I will upload it tomorrow or the day after though since my upload limit is up. And I won't go crazy with variations, as I frown upon that too. It's a stupid thing to do haha
Yeah, apparently she has a split personality. But her bod doesn't change or anything too crazy.
If I were to rotate this, would it be an obvious rotation?

And for this other image, I have to crops: this and this.

PERSONALLY, I like the first since I think her bellybutton stomach is more interesting than her face for whatever reason XD. But I'm also aware that this happened, so for this situation... I'm consulting this time.

and here's the source
mattiasc02 said:
If I were to rotate this, would it be an obvious rotation?
Yeah, but to the right looks okay.

And for this other image, I have to crops: this and this.

PERSONALLY, I like the first since I think her bellybutton stomach is more interesting than her face for whatever reason XD. But I'm also aware that this happened, so for this situation... I'm consulting this time.

and here's the source
I'd take an L on that one and forget about uploading it. It looks too good whole to ruin by cropping.
Would this be considered bad proportions?
mattiasc02 said:
Would this be considered bad proportions?
Her breasts are too big, more like. I skipped over it when I was uploading tonight.
The first doesn't look right at all. She's laying on something above her...

The second one can't be seen without an account. So I can't comment on that one.
mattiasc02 said:
this or this? Or neither?
Number two.

That one was pretty obvious. Of a choice, I mean.
Thanks.

And also, are my other boshoujo mangekyou cg’s getting approved? They normally are quickly approved so I’m wondering if there is an issue with them.

Edit: and yeah I’m gonna start using that other image website instead... sorry zolxys
mattiasc02 said:
And also, are my other boshoujo mangekyou cg’s getting approved? They normally are quickly approved so I’m wondering if there is an issue with them.
1. I'm usually the only one doing daily/hourly checks of the images (I'm pretty sure), and I already said I wouldn't be able to do much on here for a few days.

2. This makes you sound entitled.